Fostex FX200

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any ideas for building a enclosure for a pair Fostex FX200?

Lucky man - I've read about these drivers a couple of times over the past few months - my perception is that they are really nice drivers, smooth and detailed and perhaps one of the best that Fostex made. You can't buy them anymore.

Attachments

• FX200-8.pdf
    104.8 KB · Views: 154
You can't buy them anymore.

Yes.

Some years ago i build a Tqwt for the FX200, but it is a little to big for the new apartment. Thats the reason for searching new ideas.
... but anyway i like the FX200!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here some quick and dirty messarument:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Honestly, your best bet is to just build the factory enclosure. While it has the usual BR coloration, it tends to smooth out the sound of the driver. A TQWT or ML-TL is also appropriate. I had a pair in TQWT. They were great AFA detail and dynamics, but the inherent 4kHz peak made them somewhat fatiguing, even when notched out. For whatever reason, the smaller reflex box mellows them out enough that no filter is needed.

Bigun: thanks for finding the specs for this driver so quickly

Let's for the moment overlook the rather smooth looking FR graph - there could well be enough data on the T/S parameters for someone so inclined to plug the numbers into their favorite modeling software and come up with something not so compromised as the bog standard BR "Factory recommended" enclosures have often been found to be.

FWIW, if there's as much family resemblance between the FX200 and F200A as between the FX120 and F120A, (of which I've had occasion to hear all but the first listed) these could certainly be worth the effort.

My intuition is that an MLTL would be on the short list - when you say that the TQWTs are too large for the new venue, it could save some time if you could elaborate on the space constraints - particularly floor space/footprint.

edit: from MJK site / project gallery - perhaps the builder might be available to elaborate/ My skills are too limited to provide a direct link, but Martin's site does have e-mail addresses linked to some of the project photos - this one's about 2/3 down the gallery - the builder's name is Jeremy MacLennan..

Combined.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.