Full range as Center channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would say they would work fine in a sealed box instead of open baffle.
Open baffle may bring many other issues you might not want to deal with.

The sealed box would help to control low frequency extension (that you don't really need for a center channel).
A side effect of that would be clearer mids and highs.

70 to 14k will be plenty for a "Center Channel" speaker....unless you plan on multi-channel music listening.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would say that if you wanted to open baffle these you would need a pretty substantial baffle and still need something to control the bottom end.
A home theater crossover at 150hz should do the trick just as well as a small sealed enclosure.

Are you going to do any fancy finish on the baffle or just painted?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You might be able to get by with a smaller baffle by using a rear chamber on the driver.
This small SEAS chamber should do nicely for your needs.
Just a little aquarium sealant and some screws should do the trick.
This approach would at least solve the acoustic "Short Circuit" you would run into from a small open baffle since there is no back wave to deal with.
Just lightly stuff the chamber and enjoy.

You might be able to get by with a smaller baffle by using a rear chamber on the driver.
This approach would at least solve the acoustic "Short Circuit" you would run into from a small open baffle since there is no back wave to deal with.

seems this can be done..thank you..if that can resolve the issue this can be amazing....

can you give a sample example....like what kinda of sample baffle please it will helpa lot..

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I would figure a baffle board that is based on the "Golden Ratio" (Look it Up).
Place the driver on a position on the baffle that also adheres to the Golden Ratio ( this will help to minimize high frequency diffraction.
Mount one of those chambers behind the one driver; seal it with aquarium sealant and use screws to hold it in place.
Chamfer or roundover the edges of the baffle as much as you can (a rasp works well).
Build some kind of "kick stand" for the back of the baffle to hold it up.

Place the driver on a position on the baffle that also adheres to the Golden Ratio ( this will help to minimize high frequency diffraction.
Mount one of those chambers behind the one driver; seal it with aquarium sealant and use screws to hold it in place.
Chamfer or roundover the edges of the baffle as much as you can (a rasp works well).

got it.... i knnow golden ratio....thank you ..

I am also getting an offer on same pair...wanted to ask you how would they sound as in near field PC speakers powered with a D class amp...any idea?

still need the same way like adding an enclosure and adding a baffle on it..

V

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.