Philips 9710 enclosure recommendation (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, these are some nice drivers you got, they look to be in fantastic shape!

I have a pair of the ceramic magnet version, which has pretty much the same parameters as yours. I used mine in Karlsonettes and they do pretty good, but I believe a better Karlson could be designed for them. AD9710 is on the left; on the right is Richard Allan CG10T.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A big-@$$ TQWT might be your best bet for these. I've attached a variety of Philips enclosures made for the 9710 that I have collected.

IG

Thanks IG... very useful ;)

I had to put a light coating of diluted rubber cement on my pair since the paper pleating looked quite tired. I managed not to shift Fs doing so. Not certain if it was necessary in your case, unless the paper is really dry and in danger of crumbling, but if the guy did a good job, it should help them last.

IG

I had to put a light coating of diluted rubber cement on my pair since the paper pleating looked quite tired. I managed not to shift Fs doing so. Not certain if it was necessary in your case, unless the paper is really dry and in danger of crumbling, but if the guy did a good job, it should help them last.

IG

they are in very well condition but surrounding paper but I wanted to strengthen their life and preserve them more... I think they will serve another 30-40 years now on :D

Are you starting to lean towards something for an enclosure?

IG

actually I want something not very big because right now I got two pairs of king size horn loaded speakers and I want to build a Trio-like horn in near future :D for now I put them into prototype boxes and they sing pretty well. I may build a 3-4wpc 2A3 SE amp for them to use. if you think a certain plan is better I'm all ears :rolleyes:

actually I want something not very big because right now I got two pairs of king size horn loaded speakers and I want to build a Trio-like horn in near future :D for now I put them into prototype boxes and they sing pretty well. I may build a 3-4wpc 2A3 SE amp for them to use. if you think a certain plan is better I'm all ears :rolleyes:

Small is opposite what these drivers ideally want. Philips recommends a 40L reflex and I tried them in a 49L one, tuned to 40Hz IIRC. That worked decently, with a ~2-3dB mid-bass hump that may work in certain rooms, not so well in others. Impulse response might be compromised a bit.

For a sealed box, Qtc=0.707 happens a bit over 100L and Qtc=1.0 is 30L, for the specs of my driver at least. Anything in between could be built and made aperiodic to lower system Q to your taste, but bass will be lean with a high f3, so some kind of helper woofer will be needed.

IG

Small is opposite what these drivers ideally want. Philips recommends a 40L reflex and I tried them in a 49L one, tuned to 40Hz IIRC. That worked decently, with a ~2-3dB mid-bass hump that may work in certain rooms, not so well in others. Impulse response might be compromised a bit.

For a sealed box, Qtc=0.707 happens a bit over 100L and Qtc=1.0 is 30L, for the specs of my driver at least. Anything in between could be built and made aperiodic to lower system Q to your taste, but bass will be lean with a high f3, so some kind of helper woofer will be needed.

IG

what about a box with following dimension:
W: 30cm
H: 50cm
D: 30cm

total volume would be ~45L :rolleyes:
what is the proper size of the port for this enclosure?

Here is the 45 liters box simulated as both vented to 40Hz (green) and sealed (blue).

attachment.php

May I suggest golden ratio dimensions of 22cm x 35.5cm x 57.5cm for this enclosure? It's better to avoide the two 30cm dimensions, at least in theory. :) I don't know what is easily available to you for making ports, but I'd go with a 3" ABS pipe, which would require 5.25" of lenght, or a 4" pipe that would then need to be 10.325" long.

Here's these 49L boxes I made, don't mind the tiny front port, which was quickly replaced by a 3" pipe in the back.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

IG

Attachments

• 9710_boxes.jpg
    9710_boxes.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 998
Here is the 45 liters box simulated as both vented to 40Hz (green) and sealed (blue).

attachment.php

May I suggest golden ratio dimensions of 22cm x 35.5cm x 57.5cm for this enclosure? It's better to avoide the two 30cm dimensions, at least in theory. :) I don't know what is easily available to you for making ports, but I'd go with a 3" ABS pipe, which would require 5.25" of lenght, or a 4" pipe that would then need to be 10.325" long.

Here's these 49L boxes I made, don't mind the tiny front port, which was quickly replaced by a 3" pipe in the back.

IG

Uh thankyou very much ;) I really appreciate you
very useful info :rolleyes: it would be a pretty big bookshelf :D but a nice-sounding one
I don't listen to music at wall-shacking levels and most of the time Jazz, Blues, Folk and some Soundtracks :) so I don't think an additional woofer is necessary. I can crack up my Cornwall if I need some earthquake :p

I have these 9710 and I have them in a TQWT enclosure and I love them. I have placed a super tweeter on them (fostex). Have a look at the web page from DHT Rob here you can find a test of different Philips drivers in this enclosure. And a plus from me was that it was an easy build.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.