First build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey,
So i've decided to build a tube amp/speaker system to replace the my computer 2.1 speakers(Creative Inspire 2.1). The source is going to be my pc and the amp and speakers sitting on my desktop just like the current ones are right now(except for the sub obviously). While the amp's going to be a pp el84 one(haven't fully decided on the design itself), i am still undecided on the speakers and cabs. As a first build i have decided that i'll probably make 2 speakers with full range drivers(meaning that i'll make the cabs too). The drivers that i'm going to buy for dirt cheap are random soviet ones with most likely little info about them(although not necessarily). This build is experimental to get an idea of the sound. The branded higher quality speakers, crossover systems and other stuff is for the future. I should also add that i'll be listening to music on room levels, only rarely increasing it to hear it in another room.
Since the speakers are going to sit on my desktop, the maximum cab size is around 40x25x20cm(HxWxD). Now what driver diameter and cab type should i use? I think that a full range 3-5 inch driver with even the max dimensions i gave won't have enough bass, so i guess this is where a ported/vented design comes into play? Also i guess the cabs should be made from something that doesn't color the sound, contrary to guitar cabs, so plywood will do? What thickness should i use?

Thanks!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.