Help me not destroy everything and cut my fingers off! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
rongon is offline rongon  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help me not destroy everything and cut my fingers off!

I have a pair of Alpair 10.2 I want to put into an old pair of B&W DM100 cabinets (about 8.5 liters each). The idea is to whip up a simple sealed cab so I can break in the drivers and get a listen to them before deciding whether I want to proceed down the speaker-building path.

I'll need to make new baffleboards, and for that I have some 3/4" MDF from the Agent Orange Home Store.

I just bought a trim router from the Harbor of Really Cheap Chinese Tools Store, with a Diablo panel pilot bit (1/4" shank, 3/4" depth). Also picked up four 18" clamps and wood glue.

I'm thinking of routing the mounting holes for the Alpair 10.2's and then front mounting the drivers on the baffle. Then get 1/8" ply of some kind (or maybe another sheet of MDF) and glue as a sandwich on to top of the 3/4" MDF, to make the bevel for flush-mounting the drivers. (I hope my description makes sense.)

I am a complete moron when it comes to woodworking. I have no experience whatsoever using a router, and I'm not sure where to begin. Is there a good book anyone can recommend that would guide a beginner in the use of a router to cut nice round holes, make proper bevels and chamfers, and so on?

Thanks for any advice you can send my way.

--
Old 14th July 2012, 10:53 PM   #2
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

You learn woodworking the same way you get to Carnegie Hall. Practice man, practice.

Go slow. Cut holes in a lot of scrap first. Never force a router. You will need some way to keep the router going in a circle. I made my own. Use hearing protection. Always use hearing protection. If you don't , then you will find the speakers from the big yellow overpriced store to be just fine.

If you search the WEB, I bet you can find some videos in using a router. They are actually one of the safer tools you can hurt yourself with.

4 clamps aren't enough. Good thing nothing more than rope and a stick makes great clamps for making boxes. Duct tape, bricks, lots of things are useful.
Old 14th July 2012, 11:15 PM   #3
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Where are you located?
don
Old 15th July 2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Tom V is offline Tom V  United States
diyAudio Member

A Jasper Circle Jig is the bomb for cutting speaker sized holes. You can set the router depth to 1/4" and cut the rebate for the flush mount too. The express parts store on the web has them.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:24 AM   #5
zobsky is offline zobsky  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post
I have a pair of Alpair 10.2 I want to put into an old pair of B&W DM100 cabinets (about 8.5 liters each). The idea is to whip up a simple sealed cab so I can break in the drivers and get a listen to them before deciding whether I want to proceed down the speaker-building path.

I'll need to make new baffleboards, and for that I have some 3/4" MDF from the Agent Orange Home Store.

I just bought a trim router from the Harbor of Really Cheap Chinese Tools Store, with a Diablo panel pilot bit (1/4" shank, 3/4" depth). Also picked up four 18" clamps and wood glue.

I'm thinking of routing the mounting holes for the Alpair 10.2's and then front mounting the drivers on the baffle. Then get 1/8" ply of some kind (or maybe another sheet of MDF) and glue as a sandwich on to top of the 3/4" MDF, to make the bevel for flush-mounting the drivers. (I hope my description makes sense.)

I am a complete moron when it comes to woodworking. I have no experience whatsoever using a router, and I'm not sure where to begin. Is there a good book anyone can recommend that would guide a beginner in the use of a router to cut nice round holes, make proper bevels and chamfers, and so on?

Thanks for any advice you can send my way.

--
Get a decent router. The rim router isn't going to be enough.

Jasper jigs are indispensable for cutting holes but they dont fit all routers/
Old 15th July 2012, 12:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Where are you located?
don
North of New York City ("up da rivah"). Pretty far from Vancouver.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've spent some time looking at web videos on how to use a router. To tell you the truth, I find it all a bit scary. I used to be much braver. I did make some baffle boards many years ago using a jigsaw. They did not turn out well.

I will only be cutting holes 5" or less in diameter. Maybe I should use 1/2" MDF for the baffle, and make a sandwich of two of them to make the (whats-it-called?) rabbet for flush-mounting the drivers into the baffle. That way I'd only have to cut 1/2" sheets instead of trying to cut 3/4" depth. That would be safer, right?

--
Old 15th July 2012, 01:25 AM   #8
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

My older hardbound copy has served me well: Amazon.com: Router Handbook: sears/craftsman: Basic and Advanced Router Techniques: Special Edition: Patrick Spielman: Books

GM
Old 15th July 2012, 01:38 AM   #9
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't wimp out! The jasper jigs are good. The cheap router will be fine. If you wear it out, then buy a good one. What do you have to loose, a few quarter sheets of particle board?

Yes, you can make a two layer baffle, but it is harder as you then have to line things up. You might as well learn to cut the rabbits correctly first.

You need a backer board. Tack or double stick tape it to your work piece. This is when you cut through, the plug with the pivot hole does not move.

Drill the 1/8 pilot hole. Do the rabbit first, it will take several passes to get a wide enough flange. Don't worry about the small diameter getting smaller as you will make the through hole anyway. Use test boards to test the depth of cut.

Routers are easy to use. Fun. Can do lots of fancy things. Simple 45 with a pilot bearing does a great job relieving the back side. They can make fancy joints, straight edges and freeform. Just practice. Make a lot of holes in a scrap board. When you feel confident, then to the good project.
Old 15th July 2012, 01:57 AM   #10
ODougbo is offline ODougbo  United States
diyAudio Member

137mm hole yes?

Well this would work if so:

Amazon.com: Greenlee 35728 Recessed Light Hole Saw, Steel Toothed, 5-3/8-Inch: Home Improvement

If you use the router, don't forget the eye protection!!

Hide this!Advertise here!