Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2013, 12:45 PM   #71
just another
diyAudio Moderator

For completeness some progress photos

Note the extremely wonky installation of braces. I'm sure being slightly staggered improves things I was quite surprised at how effective they are actually.

Also note the extremely dodgy sanding of the primer. Superb finish these will not have

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3350.jpg (86.7 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3352.jpg (92.9 KB, 305 views)
Old 14th August 2013, 10:53 AM   #72
just another
diyAudio Moderator

just another photo update I came home early yesterday and my 5 1/2 YO and I set up the speaker in the back yard and she sprayed it to her satisfaction

There is a large run on one side where she got a bit over zealous with the yellow, but it adds texture

Overall I think it looks pretty funky.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3383.jpg (213.8 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3384.jpg (208.3 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3385.jpg (240.0 KB, 263 views)
Old 14th August 2013, 11:38 AM   #73
diyAudio Member

interesting paint job there

I'd be very, very interested to hear someone's comments on using a simple XO for either an SB tweet or - for example - the Vifa XT25. I'm currently thinking about something small and effective for "monitoring" use on my desk at work - I have space for a sub, but the SB12s seem like a great way to keep box size down and still have decent sound. I've seen the XO in the SBTL from one of the German DIY magazines, and figure that might also work, but that's already crossing at 1.8kHz.

- Bret
Old 17th August 2013, 08:22 AM   #74
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Bret, I might do a simulation with one of the SB tweeters, crossed over around 3 - 4Khz and see how it looks. I think it would work well.

Latest pics and impedance measurement.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3403.jpg (216.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3405.jpg (192.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: png sb4inch_impedance.png (43.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 18th August 2013, 03:15 AM   #75
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK here is a measurement taken outdoors with REW showing SPL and distortion. Measurememt taken at 2.83V however not properly calibrated to give accurate spl level. It should be around 88db I think.

It wasn't ideal for measurements today as it is a bit windy, but not too bad just the same. edit: just added some pics of the test setup. The speaker is on a table on the verhandah, I think that the minor reflections in the impulse are probably from the roof above, I'll have to try some experiments out in the yard as well, but it is rather narrow with another house's wall down one side so I tried to position at an angle to any major reflective surfaces.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: png sb4in_outside.png (153.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3408.jpg (235.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3409.jpg (259.3 KB, 96 views)
File Type: png sb_4inch_Aug 18 11_08_09.png (63.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by wintermute; 18th August 2013 at 06:05 AM. Reason: add pictures of test env and impulse response.
Old 5th January 2014, 07:37 AM   #76
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Well things move rather slowly around the wintermute household when it comes to projects

Today however there were no pressing issues to be dealt with and no other plans so I spent some time with the jigsaw and router this afternoon, and managed to cut to size the top, bottom and front and rear baffles for the second unit.

Man I wish I had a router table. I could probably have had the entire job done and the box glued together in the same time if I did!

I'm terrible at cutting straight so have to cut everything with a 3mm margin and then use the router (with an old MTM prototype's cabinet as a fence) to get the final clean cut side.

This means basically tripple the measurements, and a lot of stuffing around clamping the workpiece in place for each cut. But I don't have room for a router table so have to work with what I can

Hopefully it won't be another six months till the next status update

Tony.
Old 6th January 2014, 01:44 AM   #77
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the excellent measurement. Really nice result. Will you add a BSC filter?
Old 6th January 2014, 05:33 AM   #78
_henry_ is offline _henry_  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Tony,

if you are interested to add tweeter, i got a bunch of SB25STCN neo with small flange .
Im in sydney also, so you can try them first.

cheers
henry
Old 6th January 2014, 06:14 AM   #79
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Tuxedocivic, yes I do intend to do line level BSC. Something simple using the ESP passive line level cap and pot (and perhaps a buffer).

Thanks for the offer Henry! I think that eventually these will end up with a tweeter (though perhaps not in the current box, I may not have left enough room )

The top end is a little harsh (no doubt breakup), I tried a couple of sims with the measurement above to put a wide notch around the 7 - 10K mark but wasn't really successful, perhaps just concentrating on the 10K peak might work better. I can have another look at it. I think it should be possible to tame the top end a bit, but the reality is that this isn't really a full range speaker, it was just me trying an experiment, which has I think generally been a success.

As far as computer speakers go though they will I think hold there own But a tweeter would make them very sweet indeed.

I think that the tonal balance is very good, because I put the finished one on top of one of my MTM's disconnected the MTM and ran with the SB instead and the sound was still very natural, and I didn't get any feeling of imbalance. More surprising was that the imaging wasn't impacted. This surprised me quite a bit. I suspect that as a pair they should image very nicely.

Tony.
Old 6th January 2014, 02:08 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

If you try to notch the top octave it will sound very flat and dead! BSC could help the tonal balance.

Larry

Hide this!Advertise here!