SB acoustics SB12MNRX25-4 "full range" Build thread - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2012, 12:39 PM   #11
just another
diyAudio Moderator

So I went and bought the 12mm MDF and also a sheet of 6mm for the sides / port baffle. Today was a busy day though so I didn't get much time before sundown to get anything done. I decided to bite the bullet though and go with the rebated sides.

I also decided it was silly to make my prototype with the 16mm front and rear baffles if the final speaker was going to be 12mm so ditched those pieces and started from scratch.

I only got the front and rear baffles done, and made a start on the cutout for the port (6mm bigger than required due to the rebate. I cut it a bit fine on the left but should be ok. A bit of filing coming up to get the corners in order.

I won't likely be able to do any jigsaw/router work till next weekend, but hopefully I can get a quiet evening during the week to mark up some more of the MDF ready for cutting.

progress (as usual with my builds) is slow

The only other thing I need to do is find my circle jig. I guess if I can't I can make another one, though I won't have the luxury of my dad's drill press this time...

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1016.jpg (96.6 KB, 665 views)
Old 9th August 2012, 12:10 PM   #12
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK so there has been Zero progress since the last post (on the actual build). Car broke down on Friday so spare time on the weekend was spent fixing it

However over the last week or so I have been playing with Creo Elements/Direct modeling and finally am starting to get the hang of it. I decided to go the whole hog and rebate pretty much everything.

Anyway here are the "Final" plans. At least for now If I'm lucky I might get some time this weekend to cut some more MDF.

Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: png sb4_speaker.png (34.9 KB, 637 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SB 4in Speaker Plans.pdf (50.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 9th August 2012, 09:09 PM   #13
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Woops, I'm glad I put final in quotes I forgot one very important thing. The port baffle!! Will update this evening

Tony.
Old 10th August 2012, 01:39 PM   #14
just another
diyAudio Moderator

OK so here are the corrected plans that include the port baffle :rolleys: They are much nicer than my original hand drawn ones. CAD programs are nice!

Tony.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SB 4in Speaker Plans.pdf (69.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 10th August 2012, 03:47 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Looking good so far Tony. I agree that a non PC based way of handling baffle-step is probably the most sensible route, especially so as it will have its own amplification and the compensation will be 'active'. This also means of course that the loudspeakers can be hooked up to something else in the future, which might end up being quite important - not to mention that Rod's circuit is variable, giving the loudspeakers the flexibility to be tuned for the location they are placed in.
Old 10th August 2012, 04:35 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
OK so here are the corrected plans that include the port baffle
Officual term is port shelf, a panel isn't a baffle unless a driver is attached to it.

Quote:
CAD programs are nice!
They are, but 7 pages for a drawing that would easily fit on 1 (or 2, if you had a details deawing) pages.

dave
Old 11th August 2012, 12:12 AM   #17
just another
diyAudio Moderator

5th, yes that was what I thought. I'm not sure how much BS comp I'll need as sitting next to the monitor and close to the wall will affect things so having it adjustable is good

Thanks Dave, I've not done a slot for a port before, have only used tubes. I did them one per page because when printed on A4 they are ok for my aging eyes It's my first try at a CAD program so no doubt still a lot to learn!

Tony.
Old 11th August 2012, 02:11 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
5th, yes that was what I thought. I'm not sure how much BS comp I'll need as sitting next to the monitor and close to the wall will affect things so having it adjustable is good

Thanks Dave, I've not done a slot for a port before, have only used tubes. I did them one per page because when printed on A4 they are ok for my aging eyes It's my first try at a CAD program so no doubt still a lot to learn!

Tony.

Any update yet?
Old 11th August 2012, 07:21 AM   #19
just another
diyAudio Moderator

^ unfortunately not yet. We get the keys to a new house next Friday and SWMBO has had me rather busy looking at carpet, paint, and all other things house renovation related. Hopefully I may get a couple of hours tomorrow to cut some more MDF. I really wanted to get it done before getting the house as I suspect my time will be limited for a while once we take delivery.

Last weeks car problems were not good timing

Tony.
Old 11th August 2012, 03:51 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Interesting driver, how does it sound?

Larry

Hide this!Advertise here!