Horn build recommendation for a Mono,Vinyl, Hi-Fi, Tube driven DJ. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th July 2012, 03:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Horn build recommendation for a Mono,Vinyl, Hi-Fi, Tube driven DJ.

Hi all, I have not posted hear much but have been a long time lurker.

Just a bit about me. I have been a self employed musician for the past 20 years. I support a beautiful wife and two kids. I have had to find or develop other streams of income over the years to pay the bills. All of my other streams of income involve music one way or the other. As of now I where many hats. I gig with my blues trio and solo acoustically, I'm a song writer, I teach privet music lessons, I'm a piano tuner. I'm going to commit the ultimate sin as a musician and become a DJ! There I said it!!
I inherited an old Mono Rek-o-Kut turntable about 10 years ago. I finally got around to rebuilding it. Hooked it up to my Scott 299d and listened through my guitar cab which has two JBL D123's. In short I was blown away by what I heard. Real dynamics coming out!
I gig at a lot of restaurants, clubs and center centers. I had the idea that I may be able to make some money spinning mono records and giving a small history lesson on mono vinyl and period correct playback and some trivia about the song i'm spinning.
I tried my idea out at an a senior center and they loved it! So I'm gonna have a go at trying to make some money spinning mono vinyl records using period equipment.
Sorry for being so long winded. To my questions:

I want to produce the highest fidelity with one speaker that has a visual "wow" factor that will impress my audience. Speaker must be loud enough and cover a room with up to 100 people in it. Also, speaker must fit through average door and I have to be able to move it on my own with a dolly. I was thinking of the Kirishima Manifold Horn 0v92. FE206En.

Question:

1. Do you think the Kirishima will meet my expectations for DJ-ing?

2. Should I consider another driver and horn? If so which one?

Thanks Damon
www.damonjohnwadestudios.com

Hear is my baby I just rebuilt. I want to build a matching birch speaker.
IMG00530-20120529-1020.jpg

Last edited by dwade277; 11th July 2012 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11th July 2012, 05:04 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

IME, folks want to hear this type of music through a big ol' jukebox, so what's needed is a big Seeburg speaker or similar [500 or 800 Hz horn with dual 15" or 12" wide range woofers respectively] that will make any small single driver BLH sound pretty thin, dinky in a mono DJ app.

GM
Old 11th July 2012, 05:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Never heard of a Seeburg, sounds interesting. Did they make an enclosure or should I look for a specific speaker??

I have thought about using a single Altec A5 or A7 with a multi cell horn on top but I think it would cost to much and be a bit to big for me to move.

I would be spinning many styles of mono records from the 20's to the 60's. I would be doing "vintage" weddings, indoor and outdoor, jazz clubs, blues clubs, senior centers, church functions, parties... All with a vintage and historical theme.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 80072437.jpg (149.4 KB, 355 views)
Old 11th July 2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

the dog isn't looking too happy
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 11th July 2012, 09:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
the dog isn't looking too happy
He's blown away by that "Altec" sound!!!
Old 13th July 2012, 04:10 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

bump
Old 20th July 2012, 10:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards Altec A7 or A5 with a big horn on top.
Old 21st July 2012, 07:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade277 View Post
Any other suggestions? I'm leaning towards Altec A7 or A5 with a big horn on top.
Your original idea of using a Fostex FE206En seems like a sound one. Its a very modern and efficient driver and you could easily replace it if it gets damaged.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:27 PM   #9
berm is offline berm  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you looked at Bill Fitzmaurices horn designs? Seems like that may be a good place to fined something suitable (and relatively inexpensive). You might look there and then run your ideas through GM, who is a great reality check when he has the time.

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/index.html

and for a specific design:

Omni 12 Fullrange

Where possible, if your speaker is going to be large. It might be a good idea to take a modular approach and build your speaker as a series of separate cabinets to make moving easier, and stacking them at venues. Just a thought, for what it's worth.

Good dispersion is probably the most important factor in a mono speaker for groups of people.
Old 25th July 2012, 07:31 AM   #10
berm is offline berm  United States
diyAudio Member

Default above should read:

Where possible, if your speaker is going to be very large, it might be a good idea to take a modular approach and build your speaker as a series of separate cabinets to make moving easier, and stacking them at venues.

Also separate cabinets will make it easier to move in a car, etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!