Help needed speaker recomendation in center channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi..
Im building a center channel for my little HT, The design is a MTM with a Dayton ND20FA tweeter with a 4,7uf cap to protect it and the drivers running ful range.

Im doubting wich drivers to use, the sattelites are 4 Tabaqs with the Tang Band W3 881SI from the PE buyout, so my doubt is if I use the same driver, or from the other listed below wich I already have...

Tang Band W3 881SI
Tang Band W3 665SC
Tang Band W3 926SD
Tang Band W3 871B

Thanks in advanced!!!...

I too am not fond of MTM in the middle, but do like them for mains. It is really important to get the voicing the same. The middle does not need to go as deep though. I think centers are limited to about 80 Hz. Of course, THX does 80 Hz to the mains too. My Paradigm center is voiced like the rest of their line and the studio 20's were flatter. Never liked it. I am finally doing new mains based on Seas drivers and can already leave the Paradigms far behind. Ironic, the Mirage rears were voiced closer and blend just fine.

I too am not fond of MTM in the middle, but do like them for mains. It is really important to get the voicing the same. The middle does not need to go as deep though. I think centers are limited to about 80 Hz. Of course, THX does 80 Hz to the mains too. My Paradigm center is voiced like the rest of their line and the studio 20's were flatter. Never liked it. I am finally doing new mains based on Seas drivers and can already leave the Paradigms far behind. Ironic, the Mirage rears were voiced closer and blend just fine.

FWIW, depending on the surround processor's multi-channel / Bass Management settings, you can get away with centers XO as high as well over 100Hz- which certainly simplifies things for fans of the minimalist FR/WideBand club - this being the "Full Range" forum and all. ;)

While I've not tried it myself, there's probably no sonic reason and MTM for center couldn't be "done right", but the frequent constraints of enclosure height can conflict with driver placement - i.e. simply laying a vertical MTM array on its side will not work particularly well. Now with a large enough space or even more so, a projection system and acoustically transparent screen, such limitations might not exist.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.