Jordan JX92s lovers, what else have you built and liked? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2012, 10:07 PM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I don't know how close the EAD version is in terms of spec but the replacement JX92 from Jordan should be a drop-in replacement.

open letter to the class:

Out of curiosity, what is the current status / availability of official branded Jordan drivers and the EAD versions?

My latest understanding was that Ted & Lowther were working together on revamping the driver technical and production designs, but the Jordan site is either rather vague, not yet updated since the May blog entry, or simply hard for an old fart like me to navigate.
Old 10th July 2012, 12:15 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I'm still using my designs for the Jordan JX92S with Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeters in a home theater set-up. The front speakers are my MLTL design while the surrounds are the mini-monitor version (7-9 liters box). The crossover for these two-way speakers is at 3000 Hz. There are long threads for both designs on the DIYaudio forum and many others have duplicated designs of both the MLTL and mini-monitor speakers. These designs originated more 6 to 7 years ago and the prototypes were winners in several DIY speaker contests. They have stood the test of time.

Last edited by Jim Griffin; 10th July 2012 at 12:17 AM. Reason: addition
Old 10th July 2012, 12:24 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I use mine in a sealed box with BSC. Bottom end is filled out by a subwoofer. Preamp is a Grace 902 fed by a PC S/PDIF out and amplifier is a 41Hz T-amp. Probably the most satisfying system I have ever owned.
Old 10th July 2012, 12:57 AM   #14
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Still using enjoying mine in a back loaded horn, since recently moving to an F5 amp from a chip amp I found I didn't need the supertweeter anymore. I find that this design needs baffle step compensation to balance things out however. Very good match with the F5.

PJN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jhorn(2)JPEG of.jpg (99.3 KB, 364 views)
Old 10th July 2012, 01:07 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

That back-loaded horn looks so nice. Did you build it?
Old 10th July 2012, 01:46 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
interesting. Im almost surprised you cross the ribbons at 3k. Im using a fountek tho a different model, and i was scared to cross it below 4k. A fellow forum member RAART was interested in using his jx92s with the neo3.5h hornloaded ribbon. Im using that driver so i sent him my crossover circuit, seeing your arrays maybe you could also help? OT kinda, excuse me. Id try the jx92s myself but i doubt theyre easy to find any more.
In order to help, I'd need to build the same cabinet, measure the drivers in the cabinet and design crossover based on actual Frequency response, phase and impedance. If he is near me, he's welcome to bring the speaker in and I'll help him.
This may help also: Fountek NeoCd3.5H Horn Tweeter
All Fountek tweeters suffer from a pronounced resonance in the lower part of the pass band. My guess is that it's a rear chamber. Crossover point is of cause a relative term. Slops play a big role and there's room to play as to where what falls. Easy crossover point for Fountek 2.0 can be as low as 3200-3400hz. With some manipulation and the fact that the load in the array is spread, it can be moved lower. But not so low that the resonance of 2.0 and distortion spike will get in the pass-band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

Out of curiosity, what is the current status / availability of official branded Jordan drivers and the EAD versions?

My latest understanding was that Ted & Lowther were working together on revamping the driver technical and production designs, but the Jordan site is either rather vague, not yet updated since the May blog entry, or simply hard for an old fart like me to navigate.
My guess is that EAD will be producing their version of 92 which should be very similar to older 92S. May be some changes in the motor and surround dampening properties. Hope EAD will be reasonable with the pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Griffin View Post
I'm still using my designs for the Jordan JX92S with Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeters in a home theater set-up. The front speakers are my MLTL design while the surrounds are the mini-monitor version (7-9 liters box). The crossover for these two-way speakers is at 3000 Hz. There are long threads for both designs on the DIYaudio forum and many others have duplicated designs of both the MLTL and mini-monitor speakers. These designs originated more 6 to 7 years ago and the prototypes were winners in several DIY speaker contests. They have stood the test of time.
I build MLTL version in raw MDF just to listen. It's a very nice design.

Last edited by R-Carpenter; 10th July 2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:04 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

i agree, if i were to sim it myself id have to take an frd trace at least, and plug it into boxsim.

My 4th order HP @ 3.5k, was only a starting point for experimentation. That link in tech talk is pretty much the only info out there lol.

I would imagine that lovers of the jx92 would also like the Bandor woofs? Are they still around?

Maybe some of the BW alpairs also?

Last edited by mondogenerator; 10th July 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10th July 2012, 01:39 PM   #18
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post

When I spoke to Ted a couple of weeks ago the drivers were progressing but taking longer than expected. He's left the site as it is rather than keep updating it with "coming soon" messages.

My understanding is that he will be able to supply a new JX92 and JXR6 and that the 92 in particular will improve upon the last official Jordan versions (and quite possibly the EADs too).

The EAD versions are presumably at the point they reached when Ted decided to go back to doing some more of his own. He was supposed to be handing over in order to retire. I gather he didn't like retirement very much.
Old 10th July 2012, 10:04 PM   #19
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Doug,

I built the horn about seven years ago, it still sounds great today. The jordan is a nice full range driver.

PJN
Old 4th January 2013, 07:20 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Question On a related note

I'm a big fan of the Jordan drivers [attached images of my designs] and of full-range drivers in particular, primarily as I don't really dabble in crossovers. However I always felt that there was some information lacking in the JX92 in the midrange.

Recently I've been modelling a build using the Tang Band W8-1772 [image attached] thinking this might give me that but the cabinet that I was planning is rather large for the living space - I've put next to the box of my current speakers [white] for scale.

So I've turned back to the idea of a Jordan driver with "supplementation" perhaps the 2 way Aurum/Fountek ribbon tweeter design, then I had another idea of adding in either a 6" or even 8" driver as well.

Would anyone be willing to help me developing or at least modelling this idea? Or perhaps someone already has the JX92 in a 3 way design and can say what it's like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TangBand_W8-1772.jpg (86.8 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0414.jpg (289.2 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0395.jpg (319.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Sideball_close.jpg (323.9 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3366.jpg (337.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3383.jpg (491.5 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by smallangryboy; 4th January 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!