Jordan JX92s lovers, what else have you built and liked?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear DIYers,

I might have already posted my strange story about hi-fi experience, but let me repeat a little bit more.
Until I reached my age of 40, I had been a high-end audio nut for 20 years. I spent tons of money for high-priced equipments, and I couldn't spent a day without critically listening to good recordings and good equipments.

Long story short, I am no longer a same person. My current reference system is:
Source: computer -> USB DAC
Amp: LM3886 gainclone, driving at 24V
Speakers: Jordan JX92S in 48" MLTL without any tweeter or baffle stepping

I am happier with this system than the $$$ system I owned before.

Let me ask a question to you. Is there Jordan JX92S lovers out there? What other diy speakers do you use and love?

Doug

JX92

i am out here:
the TUBA

Attachments

• sande-tuba.jpg
    sande-tuba.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 580
I used a 48 MLTL JX92 with a Naim Nait 2 which sounded good, if underpowered. I found BSC balanced out the mid-range. I built the VTL design for a friend and that sounded excellent without any BSC but didn't go as deep.

I sold the Naim and went active in my main system but still use the 92 in GM'a 31 MLTL as a bedroom system.

If not too worried about the use of a crossover, the JXR6 with a suitable bass driver is also a very good system.

It seems that Jordan lovers remain Jordan lovers.
How does JX92s work in a multi-way setup?

It works very well. 92 is a very flexible driver and can be used successfully in a different scenarios. Low end response and healthy x-max lets use it in a sealed box or open baffle as a largish mid-range crossed to 12" or larger sub round about a 100hz. Clean top end makes it easy to cross to a conventional tweeter or easiER to cross to a ribbon.
Basically, you have a ideal pass band from a 100hz (not pushing it) to a little over 3k (where directive behavior may become an issue for a multi-way system).
Alice is crossed somewhat like that. Sub-woofer (TL loaded btw) arrays kick in from 80hz to 18hz and the line of 92 works from that to 3K where ribbons take over.

It'd ensure an amp-friendly load, though: 3 paralleled groups of 3 drivers in series gives the same impedance as one driver.
Bingo ;)

Last edited:
interesting. Im almost surprised you cross the ribbons at 3k. Im using a fountek tho a different model, and i was scared to cross it below 4k. A fellow forum member RAART was interested in using his jx92s with the neo3.5h hornloaded ribbon. Im using that driver so i sent him my crossover circuit, seeing your arrays maybe you could also help? OT kinda, excuse me. Id try the jx92s myself but i doubt theyre easy to find any more.

I don't know how close the EAD version is in terms of spec but the replacement JX92 from Jordan should be a drop-in replacement.

open letter to the class:

Out of curiosity, what is the current status / availability of official branded Jordan drivers and the EAD versions?

My latest understanding was that Ted & Lowther were working together on revamping the driver technical and production designs, but the Jordan site is either rather vague, not yet updated since the May blog entry, or simply hard for an old fart like me to navigate.

I'm still using my designs for the Jordan JX92S with Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeters in a home theater set-up. The front speakers are my MLTL design while the surrounds are the mini-monitor version (7-9 liters box). The crossover for these two-way speakers is at 3000 Hz. There are long threads for both designs on the DIYaudio forum and many others have duplicated designs of both the MLTL and mini-monitor speakers. These designs originated more 6 to 7 years ago and the prototypes were winners in several DIY speaker contests. They have stood the test of time.

Last edited:
Still using enjoying mine in a back loaded horn, since recently moving to an F5 amp from a chip amp I found I didn't need the supertweeter anymore. I find that this design needs baffle step compensation to balance things out however. Very good match with the F5.

PJN

Attachments

• Jhorn(2)JPEG of.jpg
    Jhorn(2)JPEG of.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 440
interesting. Im almost surprised you cross the ribbons at 3k. Im using a fountek tho a different model, and i was scared to cross it below 4k. A fellow forum member RAART was interested in using his jx92s with the neo3.5h hornloaded ribbon. Im using that driver so i sent him my crossover circuit, seeing your arrays maybe you could also help? OT kinda, excuse me. Id try the jx92s myself but i doubt theyre easy to find any more.

In order to help, I'd need to build the same cabinet, measure the drivers in the cabinet and design crossover based on actual Frequency response, phase and impedance. If he is near me, he's welcome to bring the speaker in and I'll help him.
This may help also: Fountek NeoCd3.5H Horn Tweeter
All Fountek tweeters suffer from a pronounced resonance in the lower part of the pass band. My guess is that it's a rear chamber. Crossover point is of cause a relative term. Slops play a big role and there's room to play as to where what falls. Easy crossover point for Fountek 2.0 can be as low as 3200-3400hz. With some manipulation and the fact that the load in the array is spread, it can be moved lower. But not so low that the resonance of 2.0 and distortion spike will get in the pass-band.

Out of curiosity, what is the current status / availability of official branded Jordan drivers and the EAD versions?

My latest understanding was that Ted & Lowther were working together on revamping the driver technical and production designs, but the Jordan site is either rather vague, not yet updated since the May blog entry, or simply hard for an old fart like me to navigate.

My guess is that EAD will be producing their version of 92 which should be very similar to older 92S. May be some changes in the motor and surround dampening properties. Hope EAD will be reasonable with the pricing.

I'm still using my designs for the Jordan JX92S with Aurum Cantus G2si ribbon tweeters in a home theater set-up. The front speakers are my MLTL design while the surrounds are the mini-monitor version (7-9 liters box). The crossover for these two-way speakers is at 3000 Hz. There are long threads for both designs on the DIYaudio forum and many others have duplicated designs of both the MLTL and mini-monitor speakers. These designs originated more 6 to 7 years ago and the prototypes were winners in several DIY speaker contests. They have stood the test of time.
I build MLTL version in raw MDF just to listen. It's a very nice design.

Last edited:
i agree, if i were to sim it myself id have to take an frd trace at least, and plug it into boxsim.

My 4th order HP @ 3.5k, was only a starting point for experimentation. That link in tech talk is pretty much the only info out there lol.

I would imagine that lovers of the jx92 would also like the Bandor woofs? Are they still around?

Maybe some of the BW alpairs also?

Last edited:

When I spoke to Ted a couple of weeks ago the drivers were progressing but taking longer than expected. He's left the site as it is rather than keep updating it with "coming soon" messages.

My understanding is that he will be able to supply a new JX92 and JXR6 and that the 92 in particular will improve upon the last official Jordan versions (and quite possibly the EADs too).

The EAD versions are presumably at the point they reached when Ted decided to go back to doing some more of his own. He was supposed to be handing over in order to retire. I gather he didn't like retirement very much.

On a related note

I'm a big fan of the Jordan drivers [attached images of my designs] and of full-range drivers in particular, primarily as I don't really dabble in crossovers. However I always felt that there was some information lacking in the JX92 in the midrange.

Recently I've been modelling a build using the Tang Band W8-1772 [image attached] thinking this might give me that but the cabinet that I was planning is rather large for the living space - I've put next to the box of my current speakers [white] for scale.

So I've turned back to the idea of a Jordan driver with "supplementation" perhaps the 2 way Aurum/Fountek ribbon tweeter design, then I had another idea of adding in either a 6" or even 8" driver as well.

Would anyone be willing to help me developing or at least modelling this idea? Or perhaps someone already has the JX92 in a 3 way design and can say what it's like?

Attachments

• TangBand_W8-1772.jpg
    TangBand_W8-1772.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0414.jpg
    IMG_0414.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 200
  • Sideball_close.jpg
    Sideball_close.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3366.jpg
    IMG_3366.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3383.jpg
    IMG_3383.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.