Speaker cable/wire/interconnects - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 07:23 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: Right next to beach, a potatoe toss to the whitewater
Default Speaker cable/wire/interconnects

I am building my frugal horn flat paks. There is some cat5 cable very thoughtfully included with my flat paks. I am using 10 amp extension cord from my amp to my speakers.
Without getting into to much BS, what are most sensible people using for their speaker cable? I am not much interested in expensive, and I am very suspicious of complicated weaves of cat5, or silver wire suspended in an air dialectric. Just what gives good performance at a reasonable cost
Old 6th July 2012, 10:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I use single strands of cat5 for both internal wiring and to the amp.
Old 7th July 2012, 11:21 PM   #3
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I have used a lot of things. 300 Ohm twinlead is surprisingly good. ( pure copper, be careful as a lot of it is steel core) 16 ga zip cord now more than I used to. I still have Kimber 4Tc on my mains mostly for RF rejection problem I had years ago. My subs have good old 12 Ga outdoor lighting zip cord. Internally, I tend to use 16 or 18 ga fine stranded hookup wire. No magic in a foot of wire. Are there differences? Maybe. But the speaker and crossover are 100 times more important. Oh yea, you don't have a crossover. Too bad. You still have baffle step, driver breakup, and impedance issues. All things that can be addressed with a network even if you don't use a tweeter.

If you want to squeeze the last bit pf performance, forgo all the binding post garbage and connect the leads directly to the speaker and out a small hole right to the amp. Cheaper, more reliable, and higher performance all in one.

Besides, you are "full range" so you have no bass to worry about and for sure there is no treble. You are connecting about 25 feet of 30 ga copper wire to the amp. (VC) Nothing in series with it much maters.

PS. My one attempt at a full range is rapidly becoming a three way.
Old 8th July 2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Besides, you are "full range" so you have no bass to worry about and for sure there is no treble.
I agree with your advice about binding posts, but come on man FR drivers can have bass and treble.
No need to talk like that

Hide this!Advertise here!