Speaker cable/wire/interconnects - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 02:24 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpeters View Post
Scottmoose: Thanks for very detailed reply
10 amp extension chord, more copper, more surface area
Cat5 less copper, solid core
Ur choice? Between these two because its a/b for me Solder the connections or reply on mechanical? Ever grateful for the wealth of advice I get from here
Mick
Not a problem.

Solder is probably the easiest to achieve at home.

As for one or the other, we'd need more details of how much wire (total gauge, length etc.), the amplifier and drive units you'd be using to say. Personally, I'd say 'whatever you feel like. Life is too short to get hung up over wire.'

Last edited by Scottmoose; 6th July 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 6th July 2012, 04:51 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

bullpeters:

FWIW, I long ago jumped of that carousel and have be more than satisfied with single strand of #24 solid (CAT5 or better ) per polarity for both speaker connections and DIY line level interconnects; embarrassingly cheap - the most costly part is the time required to strip the jacket and untwist the 4 pairs. For the class of wide-band drivers and power levels at which of us here operate, this is more than sufficient.

Some guys go even further with enameled bare "magnet" wire - as small as #32 - much too hair shirt for me.

Solder at driver and your choice of input terminals - because I tend to move things around and demo a variety of enclosures, I prefer Pomona dual banana plugs and 5-way binding posts for speed/convenience

if you wanna obsess over the "ultimate" wire / connection better be prepared to sign over the deed to your house, and sell one of your kidneys - as Scott says there are far more important things to worry about
Old 10th July 2012, 08:53 AM   #13
Banned

I agree that the ultimate connection is no connection or to minimise connections eg a regular loudspeaker can easily have over 4 connections/interfaces per polarity. Mechanical connections have given me so much grief in the past I now try to solder where ever possible. Ifyou can live without binding posts then cable direct
Old 10th July 2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Banned

Here is the best binding post going around.
Buy Cable Glands Cable,gland,round top,nickel plated brass,IP68,M12 RS 52103000+53112000 online from RS for next day delivery.

ie No binding post. By using a cable gland you remove at the very least 2 connections per polarity and possibly up to 4 connections per polarity

You can probably tell I hate connections. I have had so many problems with bad connections with lab equipment I try to eliminate them where ever possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!