Jensen 12's help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have these old Ampro 1x12 cabs, and I fear (ruh-roh) i did 'em in playing bass through them (it's only a dual 6v6 amp, but it IS still bass guitar, not a 50's movie soundtrack). i have loved the tone and voice since day 1 and until i played through them LOW i didn't notice anything problematic. but at low levels, there's a very faint distortion. It almost sounds like a second signal is mixed with the first, and this second signal is very faint, but run through a horrible solid state fuzzbox.

The frame numbers are 1) 220216 18820 P12 N (or M)3 C5625 cone: 4950 1

2) 220741 16641 PM 12 B C444C cone: W360

What I'm seeking here is advice for any and all options i have. Troubleshooting? Worth reconing? What sort of replacements sound like these? Shop fleabay for 2 more p12's?

I finally found "my tone" and i think it's the sound of dying drivers... figures.:mad:

Dual 6V6 output should not hurt those speakers. I wound if you have an amp problem. Perhaps a micro phonic tube in the preamp section or a bad solder connection somewhere. Try putting the amp through the paces with a different speaker setup to see if the noise remains. If the electrolytic caps in the power supply are original they might give a noise problem as well. Those are fantastic alnico guitar speakers: hold onto them!

Jp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.