Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default No place for beginners? Or where do I start?

I have been meaning to start building and combine my 2 hobbies - Audio and Woodworking. I think I have the woodworking part down but after browsing this forum for many days, I don't still know where to start with a simple project with a full range speaker. I didn't see any beginners threads.

I am a hobbyist located in the US. Not really on a strict budget. Would like some design and component advice/pointers.

Thanks!
Old 4th July 2012, 09:47 AM   #2
jimbro is offline jimbro  United States
diyAudio Member

There are probably hundreds of threads on these forums started by beginners but not labeled as such so they may be hard to find. Try searching 'noob' or 'newbie' etc. You'll notice a common theme. You have to tell us about your room, music tastes, application (just music - movies - both?), electronics, volume level, budget range, and box size to start with. What's most important to you? Imaging - dynamics - micro detail - smooth and easy to listen to? More questions than answers at this point.
Anyway - stuff to chew on. Give us some info and I promise you'll get lots of help. Enjoy!
Old 4th July 2012, 10:26 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Fellow beginner

Hi there,
I'm pretty much in the same boat - I plan to build my first full ranger speakers shortly (sometime soon; after I finish all the other outstanding projects... ).

I've already grabbed some drivers (the fe166en; because of http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf)
with the intention of building copy of 6moons audio reviews:Cain &*Cain Abby and Bailey
which are discussed here (and a few other places) Cain Abby Cain & Cain Abby Clone

fostex has a number of designs on their website attached to the data sheets for particular drivers http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...df/FE166En.pdf
and finally the other option that caught my eye was the The Frugal-Horns Site -- High Performance, Low Cost DIY Horn Designs
Well worth a look and lots of folk to ask questions of.

Hope that helps!
Old 4th July 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

aspringv,

Your situation reminds me of my own (as does OP).

Here you go with my newbie thread - turned out to be a project based on FE166en:

Newbie, new Fostex drivers, challenge with cabinets

I got help from another newbie on a simialr path:

First timer - desperately confused with the options...

The Fostex FE166en is a driver with quite a strong motor and limited xmax. It does well generally in horn type of cabinets. The BiB is a pipe-horn if I am not wrong. There is a giant thread on the BIB on diyAudio.

2 more options besides the BIB would be Scott Lindgren's Haruna (rear double mouth horn) and the Victor (this one is a paid plan set). These would be more complex builds vs the BIB (I have not seen the Victor plan's though).

All the aforementioned are BIG. If you want something relatively smaller (but by no means "small"), you can opt for the Bob Brines MLTL for FE166en - I have read that the sound is very good.

Have fun!
Old 4th July 2012, 11:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

@OP, great advice by jimbro - once you start teling folks what are you looking for, there's should be no shortage of advice!
Old 4th July 2012, 11:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

Hey thank you there zman01 - those are threads I hadn't seen. cheers for the pointers.

I guess one key thing not discussed as yet is "what sort of Amp are you using?" Highly relevant to the question I would think.
Old 4th July 2012, 12:09 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Re:amplifiers
I guess that an LM 1876 that equipped lots of mini -midi things is a good place to start for quality . It has 20+20 W so for a room and a single driver arrangement it's good . Starting from that point , any amplifier that is separated between L-R channels would have a better channel separation
Also , raising the power would allow less distortion on music peaks , still depending on driver's wattage ( and excursion of the moving mass ).
Moving to other types , such as tubes , another thing to be taken into consideration is the Ra , output's resistance , which affects Damping Factor , which is worth considering as it becomes 'one' together with the speaker and the enclosure ,resulting in different behavior at the very low frequencies
( Am I right )
Old 4th July 2012, 12:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Adding to what Picowallspeaker has shared on amps, my expereince is that the Fostex FE166en in a BIB sings even with low power SE tube amps - it's a 94 dB sensitive driver IIRC. I've played them with a Miniwatt-N3 - nice combo. If you are looking for something cheaper, then maybe you can check out the APPJ models that Twin Audio (check the manufacturers section on diyA). They played pretty nice with a Dayton DTA-100 Tripath amp too.
Old 4th July 2012, 01:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

after hearing some alpair 6's last weekend i think i would go with them if i could rewind the clock 6months. the alpairs image lovely and can work in simple cabs, the fostex's i've heard all have a very 'fostex' sound that i'm not 100% sure i like.

think the MA drivers also work well with your standard chip amps.
Old 4th July 2012, 01:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

gafhenderson,

One of the posters (aspringv) already bought the FE166en, hence the Fostex heavy post. I myself prefer the sound and flexibility (in cabinet choice) of most of the MA units. And yes, amps too.

Which Alp 6 did you listen too - A6P or A6M? And curious, why can't you choose them now vs 6 months earler?

Hide this!Advertise here!