Lowther drivers for Big Fun horns - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 01:32 AM   #11
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

one more question... Why 16 ohm coil? what difference does it make?

Thanks you all for your advice!

Cheers,

R.
Old 6th July 2012, 03:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
Lowther in OB? that sounds interesting! I tried some full range drivers in OB like fr125s and visaton b200 and really liked the lack of coloration but the bass was lacking. I would assume that the lowthers would have to be augmented with a bass drivers. The "box" construction would be simple though.
You might want to take a look at MJK's active two-way OB project using Lowther paired with two Eminence Alpha 15.
OB Theory

I have listened to that system, and I have to say, it may be the best pair of speakers I ever heard.

Cheers, Jim
Old 7th July 2012, 01:52 AM   #13
Daze is offline Daze  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've heard the Bigfun horns with different drivers. The Dx4, with the compression chamber filled with sand bags, sounded very good. I do believe that the horn was originally designed for the alnicos. I woul not necessarely recomment the silver coils... Very mixted reviews on these and the horns vs open baffles are very defferent animals.

I am using the Allfun horn (smaller version of the BFH) with dx-3 and dx-4. The dx-4 has a definitive edge, but the dx3 is also nice. The AFH has too small of a compression chamber to acomodate either of the alnico versions. I believe the DX are better for horns than alnices because they are more powerful. Alnicos are softer and will better in OBs...

I domnot recommend the AERs in the horns as they have higher Qts.

Finally, the AFH and vthe BFH do away with the Lowther rising response (infamous shout) because being corner loaded, the axis of the drivers cross in front of the listening area. Off-axis, the Lowthers do sound more linear... Simple but effective trick.
Old 7th July 2012, 02:03 AM   #14
Rafal is offline Rafal  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
I've heard the Bigfun horns with different drivers. The Dx4, with the compression chamber filled with sand bags, sounded very good. I do believe that the horn was originally designed for the alnicos. I woul not necessarely recomment the silver coils... Very mixted reviews on these and the horns vs open baffles are very defferent animals.

I am using the Allfun horn (smaller version of the BFH) with dx-3 and dx-4. The dx-4 has a definitive edge, but the dx3 is also nice. The AFH has too small of a compression chamber to acomodate either of the alnico versions. I believe the DX are better for horns than alnices because they are more powerful. Alnicos are softer and will better in OBs...

Finally, the AFH and vthe BFH do away with the Lowther rising response (infamous shout) because being corner loaded, the axis of the drivers cross in front of the listening area. Off-axis, the Lowthers do sound more linear... Simple but effective trick.
Daze,

Do you know how much was the compression chamber filled in? What volume did it end up with? I totally agree about crossing the axis either in front or the back of the ears. it makes for a smoother response. That's how I have my Tannoy GRFs set up and it makes a difference. Even a few degrees.
Old 7th July 2012, 12:19 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

For the dx4, the chamber needs to be almost completely filled. I couldn't tell the volume, but it's very small. Check out the All Fun horn for an idea of the chamber volume.
Old 23rd October 2012, 05:07 PM   #16
Audio_D is offline Audio_D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default AFH Comparision

Quote:

Hello

i have been reading this thread and would like to ask how do you find the BFH and the AFN compare, I had a pair of BFN but had move them on as they where too large.. but they were the best speaker i had and I am thinking of building the All Fun version.

thanks

Audio-d
Old 24th October 2012, 11:18 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi,

They might be speaker dependant... Tha AFH are absolutely great with Dx3 and Dx4, but I doubt that most alnicos will work (tiny compression chamber). I love the BFH but i think the AFH is altogether easyer to use and are more even and dynamic. On the other hand, they do not quite go as low. A friend of mine actually asked me to build him a pair and sold his BFH (which he was using with a DEQX processoe). Ho is planning to use the AFH without processor... I'm curently finishing up 2 pairs of AFH.
Old 24th October 2012, 12:34 PM   #18
Audio_D is offline Audio_D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi,

They might be speaker dependant... Tha AFH are absolutely great with Dx3 and Dx4, but I doubt that most alnicos will work (tiny compression chamber). I love the BFH but i think the AFH is altogether easyer to use and are more even and dynamic. On the other hand, they do not quite go as low. A friend of mine actually asked me to build him a pair and sold his BFH (which he was using with a DEQX processoe). Ho is planning to use the AFH without processor... I'm curently finishing up 2 pairs of AFH.

Well that's good news, its no suprise that the bass is not as low as the BFH (its a Hulk of a speaker) but I am hoping its close. I am planning to build a pair soon.
I got a nice pair of tannoys to replace my BFH, they sound good enough dynamic etc.. but just not as satisfying as the horn. The AFH once built will not be going anywhere

one last question have you tried the AFH with drivers other than lowther.. say an audio Nivana or B200 for example.

Owen
Old 24th October 2012, 02:05 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The horn was designed for very low QTS Lowther drivers. My friend tried the FE206E in the AFH and it sounded like a cheap subwoofer...

Personnally, I tried the AFH with the DX-3, DX-4, AER mk1, Voxativ 2.8 and Stamm modified PM6Cs...

The DX-4 reigns on top. The DX-3 close second. Both the AER and Voxativs couldn't quite adapt to the horn (probably because of the higher QTS). The Modified PM6C (new fancy cones and suspension) was pretty good.

Others might work, but I believe Lowthers and some of their derivatives are by far best suited to these horns. You can read the extensive paper by Paltrow... he did sim these horns specifically for the DX range... Makes sense.
Old 24th October 2012, 02:06 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Correction: my frien tried the FE206 in the BFH, not the AFH...

Hide this!Advertise here!