BLH compression chamber. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 11:23 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Yours is lower Q?

Going by recent memory.

- why is the Voxativ a criteria?
Old 6th July 2012, 11:24 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
That's what GM & I have been doing (more or less). From my POV (I belive Greg has a similar take) I tend to use the term 'horn' for any pipe that expands toward the terminus, since it possesses some degree of 1/2 wave behaviour. It may or may not be impedance matched down to F0 (the 1/4 wave cutoff determined by axial length & taper). Ideally, it would be, but that is not always practical for obvious reasons.
Sorry not sure what you are saying?

1/2 wave behavior is resonance?

Afaik traditional horns are not designed to be resonant.

_-_-bear
Old 7th July 2012, 12:15 AM   #23
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

If it's not resonating, it's not making any sound: Resonances of closed air columns

GM
Old 7th July 2012, 12:40 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

except that horns are intended as impedance transformation devices, not organ pipes, or woodwinds.
Old 7th July 2012, 12:41 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

anyhow hm's product, on his webpages:

"Some things to note about this design: There is a forward-firing and rear-firing driver. Depending on choices of the builder, the rear driver can be a woofer or a second fullrange driver. -- The two drivers drive two different horns, of different length and expansion.
The idea is that the horns have different peaks and dips and fill in each other's weak points. --
The inner horn rests on the outer section via a panel of soft fiberboard, which decouples it.
Also notice how the horn mouth is wrapped around the entire enclosure. It is relatively large,
yet the enclosure the driver sees is relatively small.
Finally, I think it is a beautifully proportioned horn, which draws much less attention to itself
than some of Horst's other designs.
To his credit, and downfall, of most of his designs. He is criticized for strange and peaky/dippy response graphs, but I think they mostly show how tough it is to measure a smooth response in a room. He offers several measurements, from several drivers, measured in several positions. At the very least, the horn does bass. At best, it has response below 30 Hz."

_-_-bear
Old 7th July 2012, 02:05 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Ok, what is happening in the horn during this impedance transformation for it to make sound?

GM
Old 7th July 2012, 06:40 AM   #27
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default - why is the Voxativ a criteria?

speaker of the year, expensive, "same" measurement circumstances.
thanks for understanding
Old 11th July 2012, 07:59 PM   #28
hm is offline hm  Europe
diyAudio Member

Hi,
may this helps for understanding horns:
Horns
Old 11th July 2012, 08:53 PM   #29
jacozz is offline jacozz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Horn... Transmission-line.... bla bla bla....
But, How does it sound? What are the sonic differences?
That is really all I care about.
This ****-fighting is really tiresome.
Old 11th July 2012, 09:26 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

In theory, the horn has a bit more gain in the mechanical XO BW, so generally doesn't need any BSC, making for a bit better mid-band dynamics and maybe fewer components in the signal's path-length.

The reality though in how they sound is in how each person perceives the differences, so it's up to the individual to do whatever it takes to find out which type of speaker alignment sounds best overall to them.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!