Full Range

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
You might want to tell that to Dolby then. ;)

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/42_DDFAQ.pdf -see pg.4 Note that Dolby do not have wideband / single drivers in mind when they say 'full-range' of course. They have somewhat more demanding criteria in terms of flat frequency & dynamic ranges. Which isn't to say they can't make a respectable job of it for more casual or less critical viewers with somewhat less stringent criteria applied and / or in smaller spaces.

Last edited:
the reasoning is this: for surround speakers you don't want the accurate localisation that high frequencies have? perhaps dolby encoded signals take care of the altered frequency content of rear speakers...
maybe i was thinking of something else or maybe i am remembering wrong?
but i do remember something like that :(

I built a set of Fonken's for my 5.1 set up. I have to be honest, it didn't provide the dynamics and range that was needed for home theatre. I've since adopted floorstanding multi-way speakers. I was expecting the finesse of a full-range driver to be just the ticket, and the quality of voices was great, but I enjoy the movies more with the larger speakers. The dynamics are much better at the volumes movies like to play at.

You might want to tell that to Dolby then. ;)

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/42_DDFAQ.pdf -see pg.4 Note that Dolby do not have wideband / single drivers in mind when they say 'full-range' of course. They have somewhat more demanding criteria in terms of flat frequency & dynamic ranges. Which isn't to say they can't make a respectable job of it for more casual or less critical viewers with somewhat less stringent criteria applied and / or in smaller spaces.

bingo - even thought the last sentence might cause the more sensitive / insecure among us to reach for the hurt feelings report

The performance I'm getting from my 5.1 systems with Alpair 7&6 is more than adequate for the room, no doubt in good part because I'm quite happy with SPLs peaking a good 15dB below the THX reference level.

FWIW, I recently attended a local showing of Prometheus in Imax 3D - "meh" to the clarity and cohesiveness of direction, and the visuals varied from sumptuous to rather pedestrian, but I found the sound levels throughout - even what should have been the more intimate scenes - to be excessive, and the preview for the latest (hopefully final) installment of the Dark Knight saga was absolutely painful listening.
So if that's what folks are trying to achieve at home, you're welcome to it.

FWIW, I recently attended a local showing of Prometheus in Imax 3D - "meh" to the clarity and cohesiveness of direction, and the visuals varied from sumptuous to rather pedestrian, but I found the sound levels throughout - even what should have been the more intimate scenes - to be excessive, and the preview for the latest (hopefully final) installment of the Dark Knight saga was absolutely painful listening.
So if that's what folks are trying to achieve at home, you're welcome to it.

Saw it at the local cinema on Wednesday. Loved the direction & visuals myself, but seconded about the excessive levels -no problem with the LF shaking the place to bits, but the overall levels were excessive to the extent that you could hear the drivers bottoming out.

Sadly, I bet most of the audience didn't even notice.:sigh:

jeff

more sad actually is that the excessive levels and distortions of all sorts at cinema and live stage shows is what a lot of folks consider reference quality to be -

a custom fitted pair of noise blocker ear plugs can tame the SPLs a bit, but not the distortions

I've heard only one live show at the Royal Theatre here that I found comfortable throughout - Patricia Barber quintet - even the thrilling performance of Loreena McKennitt was at times a bit too loud (but then 13 full tilt on "Huron Fire Dance" is certainly more than 5)

I went to see Prometheus also...not only did it suck...but I was close to a corner of the theater, and the speaker on the ceiling had a blown woofy. I kept hearing it FLAP FLAP FLAP...I was going to go apesheet I though for sure.

last OT from me on the subject , but "suck" might be a bit extreme - let's just say, it felt like a bad preliminary edit - pacing was a bit off for me, and a bit more sympathetic character development might have enhanced the drama of their fates (I think of as dynamic range -of which I found not much - maybe need to watch again) - in retrospect, I think that District 9 resonated with me more than this.

now for a rather egregious waste of acting talent and SFX processing power, I nominate "Super 8" - as big a fan as I am of JJ's work, this was a bust for me - glad I watched on Netflix - keep an eye on that Elle Fanning though

oops, ran astray again - back to your previously schedule program

Last edited:
Saw it at the local cinema on Wednesday. Loved the direction & visuals myself, but seconded about the excessive levels -no problem with the LF shaking the place to bits, but the overall levels were excessive to the extent that you could hear the drivers bottoming out.

It's one of the main reasons I built a home theatre - I just can't stand the stupid volume levels. It takes away any enjoyment of the movie when it's so loud you wonder if you're at a disco or a movie. It's the same on jet planes, they crank it up to full volume so that the lawyers can't find an excuse to go after them for not providing clear safety instructions and then we all get to enjoy the safety briefing with maximum distortion. Don't get me started on this topic, it really irritates the hell out of me. So I listen at home at what feels like reasonable volume levels.

Hi Bigun,What drivers did you choose? What was the XO frequency with the sub?

My full rangers were Fostex FE127, 4.5" drivers, designed to XO to the sub at 80Hz. My home theatre is in my basement and it's a fairly decent sized space. Small full range drivers like these are just not up to the job. For listening to music, near field, especially simple voices and instrumentals - sound is breathtaking. But like I said, for movies they don't have the balls. These drivers were not expected to have a lot of bass, their xmax is small and the boxes aren't huge. The sub was supposed to take care of the bottom end. Maybe if I had started off with different drivers I'd have been happy - the CSS EL-70 has a lot more oomph.

But I discovered that one sub is not enough. You can localize a sub, the XO may not be steep enough or there may be some distortion or room modes or whatever but the sub was not enough on it's own.

Now with floor standing speakers for the front mains and the surrounds it works superbly. These floor standing speakers use 6" woofers. They dig deep enough that I don't often need a sub at all (my son stole it for his wii game) and they can produce dynamics when needed.

My own journey through speaker land is not very long as yet, but my feeling is that small full range does well for near field, does well with tube amps - I am using CSS EL-70's in my living room with SET amp at present. Yet still, I think I'm going to build much bigger speakers next.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but if I wanted to DIY my home theatre speakers from scratch, I'd go build a set of 2-way speakers with 6" woofers or I'd be looking at full range drivers with more oomph (maybe the Mark Audio A12 - but haven't heard it). Check out Zaph audio.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.