Full Range - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Yuilly is offline Yuilly  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Full Range

I am looking for some cheap full range speakers that will have good response down to at least 60 Hz and up to 15000 Hz. I am building a 5.1 system and dont want to spend a fortune on crossovers and speakers. btw my budget is very low! lol
Old 29th June 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I know this is DIY, but consider Behringer Monitor 1C
Passive Nearfield Monitors - Thomann UK Cyberstore

or
Tang Band W4-1320SJF 4" Bamboo Full Range Speaker 264-915

I have both, and for fullrange in small cabinet Behringer is very good. Need at bit of eq at bottom end, but not much. Compared to some much more expensive Dali Elegance or similar sized Cambridge (dont remember model but double the price), the Behringer is way better.

I also have mark audio but only listended shortly

Last edited by Kjeldsen; 29th June 2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 29th June 2012, 04:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For a 5.1 system - I'd probably look at building Fonken's in appropriate sizes. There is a lot of flexibility in driver selection (including many bargains) - and well sized cabinets that allow for flexible placement.

Link: Meet the Fonkens
Old 29th June 2012, 04:07 PM   #4
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
I thought surround sound systems need by design, satellites with limited range?
Old 29th June 2012, 04:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You might want to tell that to Dolby then.

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...l/42_DDFAQ.pdf -see pg.4 Note that Dolby do not have wideband / single drivers in mind when they say 'full-range' of course. They have somewhat more demanding criteria in terms of flat frequency & dynamic ranges. Which isn't to say they can't make a respectable job of it for more casual or less critical viewers with somewhat less stringent criteria applied and / or in smaller spaces.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 29th June 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 29th June 2012, 04:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

the reasoning is this: for surround speakers you don't want the accurate localisation that high frequencies have? perhaps dolby encoded signals take care of the altered frequency content of rear speakers...
maybe i was thinking of something else or maybe i am remembering wrong?
but i do remember something like that
Old 29th June 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You're probably thinking of the old BW limited pro-logic and early matrix extraction systems. Hafler circuits for e.g. tend to work better with the top end rolled off since they were primarily about ambience extraction.
Old 29th June 2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I built a set of Fonken's for my 5.1 set up. I have to be honest, it didn't provide the dynamics and range that was needed for home theatre. I've since adopted floorstanding multi-way speakers. I was expecting the finesse of a full-range driver to be just the ticket, and the quality of voices was great, but I enjoy the movies more with the larger speakers. The dynamics are much better at the volumes movies like to play at.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th June 2012, 05:07 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
You might want to tell that to Dolby then.

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...l/42_DDFAQ.pdf -see pg.4 Note that Dolby do not have wideband / single drivers in mind when they say 'full-range' of course. They have somewhat more demanding criteria in terms of flat frequency & dynamic ranges. Which isn't to say they can't make a respectable job of it for more casual or less critical viewers with somewhat less stringent criteria applied and / or in smaller spaces.

bingo - even thought the last sentence might cause the more sensitive / insecure among us to reach for the hurt feelings report

The performance I'm getting from my 5.1 systems with Alpair 7&6 is more than adequate for the room, no doubt in good part because I'm quite happy with SPLs peaking a good 15dB below the THX reference level.

FWIW, I recently attended a local showing of Prometheus in Imax 3D - "meh" to the clarity and cohesiveness of direction, and the visuals varied from sumptuous to rather pedestrian, but I found the sound levels throughout - even what should have been the more intimate scenes - to be excessive, and the preview for the latest (hopefully final) installment of the Dark Knight saga was absolutely painful listening.
So if that's what folks are trying to achieve at home, you're welcome to it.
Old 29th June 2012, 05:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
You're probably thinking of the old BW limited pro-logic and early matrix extraction systems. Hafler circuits for e.g. tend to work better with the top end rolled off since they were primarily about ambience extraction.
hey i'm not that old

Hide this!Advertise here!