Teresonic Magus principle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am very intrigued by a speaker that I have seen. It's specs are simply amazing (55-22kHz+or- 3dB), 15" high !!!!, stand mounted speaker, 98dB efficiency. I would love to try and make something using the same principle, but all I can discover is that they are "multi chambered". Can anyone tell me what design principle, these full range speakers with small Lowther drive units, use. Has anyone built anything like it?

Since small Lowthers don't manage +/-3dB across the majority of their BW, methinks there is more than a little marketing waffle in there. The multi-chamber reference suggests a double bass-reflex or similar, but I don't have time to go searching the 'net for the details, so perhaps you could provide a link?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I am very intrigued by a speaker that I have seen. It's specs are simply amazing (55-22kHz+or- 3dB), 15" high !!!!, stand mounted speaker, 98dB efficiency. I would love to try and make something using the same principle,

I have seen this and am skeptical that it meets these specs due to hoffman's iron law. If that is the case then the operating principal is marketing.

dave

Sorry, (I should not have stressed the claimed specs.) I have used Lowthers, and +or- 3 dB and up to 22k is not in the realms of my belief system. The interesting thing for me is the size of the speaker (15"x12"x9), and yet it uses a lowther drive unit (admittedly one of the 5" ones). I cannot imagine a reflex enclosure that could be this size with this driver, let alone a double bass reflex, but I would love to be shown that it can be done.

Sorry, (I should not have stressed the claimed specs.) I have used Lowthers, and +or- 3 dB and up to 22k is not in the realms of my belief system. The interesting thing for me is the size of the speaker (15"x12"x9), and yet it uses a lowther drive unit (admittedly one of the 5" ones). I cannot imagine a reflex enclosure that could be this size with this driver, let alone a double bass reflex, but I would love to be shown that it can be done.

if you believe, you'll see / hear it ;)

I measured newer production alnico PM2 model
and it is far from stated bw... it is about the 12KHz more or less
and eff is high but only within the peaks.
more harsh sound against the very first production alnico p6m
i have...
I did not listen or measure any model from DX series
ciao
tip
first - listen to the lowthers (any implementation) before buy
we try shoes and clothes more then speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.