Madisound BK-12m kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2012, 05:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Madisound BK-12m kit

Hello all,

I'm looking into building this kit from Madisound. They look cute and not too intrusive visually... Mainly because I'm curious about what a full range speaker will sound in a properly designed enclosure.

I wanted to ask if any of you had experience with these and could give me a little feedback on their sonic presentation.

This will be my second attempt at full range speakers. The first one, years ago was using Audio Nirvana's super 12" on an open baffle design. Didn't like at all. Sounded compressed and forward with any amplification I threw at it. No bass... I was going to build a vented box for them but lacked free time...

Current main system is computer feeding a bunch of Audio-GD boxes driving Thors in a "fat" cabinet (~100L). Very nice, detailed and powerful. I know, the BK-12m's probably don't stand a chance (who knows...), but I'm thinking of using them in my family room. They'd be paired with a chip amp. Right now I have a pair of Seas Loki kit in that system which I like very much. But definitely not as revealing as the main system (room is tricky).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

J

Last edited by Electro3000; 27th June 2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 27th June 2012, 05:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Madisound BK12m

It's a decent little box for what it is.
Old 27th June 2012, 06:06 PM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Madisound BK12m

It's a decent little box for what it is.

+1
- certainly meets its design brief ; inobtrusive footprint and placement issues compared to either rear mouth "corner" horns, or designs for larger drivers, and the Madisound kit looks like a snap to build.

A safe bet for a neophyte - I think (actually, I know ) that even an "experienced" DIYer could do far worse. The FE126En is a great bang for the buck driver which I've heard in at least half a dozen designs, several equaled or surpassed by this one.

One thing for sure, it shows the Fostex "hybrid" horn /BR design up for the sad joke it is. (did I say that out loud? )
Old 27th June 2012, 06:26 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have the prototypes here. They are a decent little speaker. Broadly similar to a Frugel-Horn Mk3, they don't go quite as low (if you can take advantage of wall/corner support with the FH3), and not quite as open thru the midrange. They have on the other hand a front mouth and are more compact in a rectangular enclosure (if that is an advantage in your situation)

dave
Old 28th June 2012, 01:11 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your feedback!!

Hide this!Advertise here!