Supertweeter wired in series question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2012, 01:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Supertweeter wired in series question

This is a multi-part question and I figured this was the best area to post it in this area.

1. I have a three-way set-up and want to add some extention to my highs wihtout adding another channel/amp. I have a Radian 950PB as my high driver from 600hz on up. I have a left over pair of Radian 850PB I upgraded from. The 950PB is said to roll off the highs if crossed this low. The 850PB stays louder above 10Khz. I would like to do something similar to adding a supertweeter to a Fostex full-range drver.

2. If I wire the 950PB and 850PB in series, and place a 2.0uF cap between the pos of 950PB and pos of 850PB will it only cut the frequency below 10Khz to the second (850PB) driver without any sound effects to the first 950PB driver? Can resistors or L-pad be added similarly with out affecting the 950PB sound? If this is done in parallel both drivers have a neg going back separately. In series only one neg goes back routed through the second driver.

3. They are both 8ohm drivers. I assume in series they will present a 16ohm load to the output transformer? I need the 16ohm load as it gives me the right load for the modified amp i am using. A 4ohm load from parallel drivers would not work.

Thank you, Mike
Old 23rd June 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

As a general rule I would not connect two dissimilar drivers or drivers with different acoustic loads in series.

Placing a cap across one of the two drivers which are connected in series as you propose is going to affect the output of both drivers, as you are forming a crude series crossover. The output of the driver with the cap across it will decrease at high frequencies but the output of the other driver will increase by the same amount.

Not to throw cold water over your idea, but I think the idea of adding a supertweeter onto an already 3 way system that has a compression driver tweeter is just not going to end well. Getting phase tracking between the two drivers at a high crossover frequency is going to be nearly impossible due to the short wavelengths and long waveguide throats and centre to centre spacing even with a carefully designed crossover, and your extremely simplistic crossover consisting of one cap will mean there will be a ton of overlap anyway, as they will be overlapping for most of their operating range, meaning massive amounts of comb filtering, which would not sound good at all.

If your current tweeter can't reach high enough I would be looking to change it to one that can and if necessary increase the crossover point to the driver below it, rather than trying to add an additional crossover point above 6Khz.

Last edited by DBMandrake; 23rd June 2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 25th June 2012, 12:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Simon,

Thank you for the reply and explanation. I was hoping it would be simpler but guess it is even more simple without the additional driver.

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!