diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Full Range (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/)
-   -   What's the attraction? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/214969-whats-attraction.html)

tvrgeek 22nd June 2012 10:07 PM

What's the attraction?

So, I have followed the ideas of full range, followed ideas on efficiency, thought about it. With some prodding, I bought a pair of Foxtex 125's and fired them up. Yes, I know, long break in.

Now please tell me, what is it that is so magical I am listening for? They sound to me like a Bose table radio. My immediate reaction is to start working up a crossover to some Vifa XT25's I have laying around.

I will clearly say, they are the flattest mid-range from 200 to 4K I have ever measured. In that, I am impressed. Is this because I still have decent hearing well above 18K?

5th element 22nd June 2012 10:17 PM

The attraction to full range drivers are that you don't need any 'crossover' in the typical sense and the simplicity. That's about it, everything else is drawbacks.

Of course most full range drivers will still benefit from baffle step compensation and the majority will benefit from a few strategically placed notch filters to suppress the uglies when the cones start to break up.

zman01 22nd June 2012 10:27 PM

tvrgeek,

How many hours have you got on the drivers and do you have them in any sort of cabinet yet?

gafhenderson 22nd June 2012 10:32 PM

I prefer the imaging from a fullrange driver over a 3way. I don't like the positional sound shifts that occur on a long sweeping note with multi driver systems. I can here the sound moving up and down between tweeter and midbass.

tuxedocivic 22nd June 2012 10:36 PM

I thoroughly enjoy multi-ways, but...

1. Seamless power response through the normal cross over region;
2. Point source sound;
3. Smoother off axis response (similar to point 1.);
4. Perfect step response (no acoustic delay/phase);
5. Impedance stays smooth without passive filters on it, making it easier to drive;
6. Very simple to design/build/implement/enjoy;
7. Cost effective... sometimes ;)

I'm sure I've missed some. And of course, I haven't listed the negatives ;)

5th element 22nd June 2012 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman01 (Post 3069112)
tvrgeek,

How many hours have you got on the drivers and do you have them in any sort of cabinet yet?

Hours aren't going to fix problems with cone break up and any other gross FR issues.

zman01 22nd June 2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th element (Post 3069125)
Hours aren't going to fix problems with cone break up and any other gross FR issues.

Did I say that it would? :)

In my experience drivers start sounding better after clocking up some play time. A pair of Fostex FE166ENs I tried out was very radio like for the first 30 odd hours - it started getting better after that.

Did it rid itself of all known drawbacks? No way!

5th element 22nd June 2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zman01 (Post 3069135)
Did I say that it would? :)

In my experience drivers start sounding better after clocking up some play time. A pair of Fostex FE166ENs I tried out was very radio like for the first 30 odd hours - it started getting better after that.

Transistor radio effect is caused by the gross FR issues resulting from breakup and lack of any baffle-step compensation, time wont fix this. Your ears and mind will adjust to it though.

tuxedocivic 22nd June 2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5th element (Post 3069143)
Your ears and mind will adjust to it though.

Unfortunately I believe there is a lot of this happening. I do believe drivers get mildly better with break in, but by some reports, I'm quite suspicious.

It's possible that as the driver loosens, the bottoms picks up a bit of natural BSC. But I would doubt if it's any more than 1/2db.

tinitus 22nd June 2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Your ears and mind will adjust to it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuxedocivic (Post 3069154)
Unfortunately I believe there is a lot of this happening.

oh, and I thought it was a good thing :D

but serious, just take care its not too much, or it may hurt in the long run

Quote:

........ and lack of any baffle-step compensation

good old classic tube amp always was a good cure :D