What's the attraction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So you are talking about an active powered speaker. An active speaker does not require the amps be in the speaker box -- a design choice that puts the amplifiers in an environment that is not beneficial to them.

dave

S/S amps cope perfectly well in the loudspeaker cabinet. Most studio actives have them there and although it is partly for convenience, I don't think they'd do that if there were serious problems with it. I think that's probably an old hi-fi myth put about by the manufacturers of separate amplifiers.

The actives I've heard certainly have fewer problems than most conventionally separated amplifiers/speakers that I've heard. And, as I said, they have most of the benefits of single driver with some advantages over them.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thats very interesting. Did the amplifier employ feedback ? What was the gain ratio ?

Yes on Feedback (lots i understand), for the rest you'd need to talk to the designer, Daniel (aka Duo), he has at least one thread on the subject.

I do know it had a very high bandwidth, it was adapted from a current amp for driving the electron guns in a CRT.

dave

Spent a lot more time with the Fostex. I still can't get what the single driver thing is about. Horrible breakup at 6800, a bottom end that can barely make it to a sub and distortion several times as high as I expected. This thing is far more evil than my crossovers. What am I missing?

It would be interesting to hear Mr. Pass and Mr. Curl comment on that little FET idea.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.