What's the attraction?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What you are after is only available as a parlor trick. You are talking about hetrodyne. Beat a modulated signal against a fixed frequency and the result is the difference. You could do it if you never moved your head more than a fraction of the carrier wavelength. ( I can combine two electrical signals at one point, but I can't combine two acoustic ones so the interference will vary with position. ) You still have the problem of having to put sufficient energy into the system. No free ride. This was demonstrated that realistic levels could be obtained using ultrasonics. Problem is, pumping several hundred watts of ultrasonics into the room is not healthy. You will run from the room puking with a bad headache.

While it is well demonstrated how your brain can fill in a few missing blanks, even entire notes not hit, there is no psychoachoustic substitute for real bass. Real bass means moving lots of real air. Big drivers. Let us not forget that little thing called distortion. Three inch woofers are called headphones. We may wish for magic, but I am an engineer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.