TangBand W4-655SH?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to make something cheap for my bedroom (again) as my brother nicked my W2-803SM towers. So yesterday I randomly picked up a pair of these drivers at my local dealer since they were on 50% discount...

Anyone have any experience with this driver?
Searched around a bit on the interwebs without getting much smarter.
It looks similar to the W4-655SA (which is used in Cyburgs Sticks) but there are some differences according to spec sheets.

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w4-655sh.htm

I know it cuts of relatively early, but otherwise it looks quite nice to me.

I am also interested in this wide baffle type of design simply because I like its look, but what exactly are the Cons and Pros of such a design? I am trying to avoid using a BSC, so large baffle/face plate seems to be a possible way to go, yes?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just an idea - Fruhal Horn FH Mk3 maybe? It accepts a wide range of 4" drivers, though not sure if anybody has used this particular TB.

You might need a tweeter later to augment the highs.

I am no expert, but making the box very shallow might have a risk of the backwave bouncing back and causing coloration to the sound.

Thanks. Putting it in a Frugel might work, and of not I could always use the boxes with proper drivers later..

But back to the flat box idea for a second, how about if I make it as a TL or something internally? That should get rid of bouncing waves?

Attachments

• W4_scetch1.jpg
    W4_scetch1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 499
So I stopped by Ikea and picked up some kitchen closet doors.
Still in the test phase, but it seems to work just great. Deep and dry bass.
Ports are placed on the end of the underside (2x8cm opening on the port, might be a bit on the small side, but barely any air seem to come though it anyways..)

Attachments

• DSC00486.JPG
    DSC00486.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 426
It is split in the middle under the driver and down, ported on one side facing down. So a kind of a folded TL I guess.
I have considered BIB in the past, but haven't seen those FIB-horns - man those looks interesting..
Might finally have found an excuse to buy seas coax drivers, thanks!

Haha familiar indeed!
I split mine down the middle, but your L-turn is a much better solution to keep the driver in the "1/3" spot in the transmission line. I simply didn't think of using that shape.
Mine are tuned to 45Hz with 27 liter internal volume.
Shelf port is rather large, so at least technically my driver doesn't sit in the middle of the TL..

Again, thanks for that thread. I'm not going to get anything done tonight. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.