My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased 1 pair of Super 10 Neodymium and 2 pairs of Super 15 Cast Frame
Quite happy so far. Better than seas fullrange
More to come.
Here is a picture of a couple, playing on the floor

Off topic: I also have a pair of Radian compression drivers that arrived that I need to play with

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2,216
I will build up open baffles first, then try the Fonken for the 10"
Then try something else after that

I got the Radian 475pb. I am just trying to have a listen to them now. They are absolutuely huge. The magnet is about the size you would see on a 5 inch woofer

Last edited:
awesome. What dimensions on the Open baffle ?

I may need to get a pair. I'm in a new place with paper thin walls. I'm looking at wood for phy style OB. That an15 looks like best option for me as I don't need dispersion and can run a sub for movies........

I like the sound of impact, and 15's do that for me.

Norman

You won't be disappointed.
I am surprised by the level of detail the 15" has. I was not expecting it, that is why I bought the Super 10 Neodymium. The 15" woofers were purchased just for lower end support, but they are great all round.

If you want to use a crossover on them with a compression driver you can cross them anywhere or you can just run them full range. They are great in their own right

Regarding open baffle I am going for something around 1.2m x 0.5m.
I will try 1.5 way with dual woofers then try 1.5.5 with dual woofers.
Then I will play with my compression driver with the 15" woofers on the same Open Baffle.

Last edited:
I don't agree with simulations, I agree with some measurements. Check out stereophile's review on Jamo r907, 18" wide. There is a dip where the mid driver is out of phase near 1,100hz (where the wave is 180 degrees out of phase and cancels), then a +db hump at 500hz (where the back wave is 90 degrees out of phase and adds) and rolls off. That's what you get with a 5.5" driver in the middle of an 18" wide open baffle. Notice that 1129/(18"/12") gives the dip a bit lower than 1,100hz. So a driver starts shorting out not at the middle but closer to or at its edge.

Jamo Reference R 907 loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

Something like this but hinges initially. Depending on music, you may not need a sub.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you could be 26" or more from speaker frame to nearest baffle edge, you'd get a nice +6db hump around 130hz (on the phy open baffle).

But that baffle is 66" tall, center 16" wide with 24" deep wings. Me wants. Me might builds.

That driver (an15) is reported to sound best past 200 hours. Any "papery" coloration will be almost totally gone.

Norman

Yeah no worries I have a whole heap of cardboard which I can increase the width of the baffle, to work out the effect of baffle width.
I am not anal about bass extension but I am anal about the quality of the bass. I am a bass player :D
Anyway for me it really comes down to this: The ear wants to hear what the ear wants to hear.
And yes I also believe in measurements more than simulations. Simulations are very useful for problem solving and getting close to where you want to be, but then you need to do measurements.
But at the end of the day you need to enjoy the music, that is the goal for me and that is what I am getting with these speakers.

Just want to add one more thing: Piano sounds absolutely beautiful through these 15" speakers. Probably the best I have heard.
My wife who has no interest in music what so ever (until yesterday) said: "It sounds like there is a piano in the room"

Probably should listen to them in stereo now :D
Then hopefully have time to try 1.5 way
Made some progress on the open baffle. I am just rushing through it to try and finish it before the end of the weekend. I just want to listen to music on them. Not too concerned about how they look at the moment.

pics ?

my wife just gave thumbs up for the cabinets in my previous post !!!!!!!!!!!!

first got to get drivers (order next week ?), then prototype on hinged baffle, then month or 2 later build the baffles.............

I'd recommend a foam box around the backside of the driver, my wife preferred the echo-y lack of one.

Norman

Last edited:
It is a joke. I am still building the open baffles. Having said that you get a lot more out of these speakers sitting on the floor than you would think. Just sitting on the floor they sound amazing. I have scanspeak speakers to compare them to, seas fullrange, and bbc speakers, and these speakers sound good. You can say anything you want because I am here listening to them with a big smile on my face. Oh I forgot I also have radian compression drivers to compare them too, so I think I have enough gear to make a fair and reasonable judgement.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.