My New Audio Nirvana Drivers - Page 97 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2012, 01:55 AM   #961
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Bigun, how is your opinion of AN15 shaping up? MH, what do you think of horns. Its speaker time in ky world and i have decisions to make.
For the money, I have not heard anything that comes close to AN15. Consider the fact if you went for a nice compression driver and horn (eg le cleach), that will cost you over a $1000 then you still have to purchase suitable woofers. Could easily exceed $2000 total.
If you live close to David Dicks then you could go demo a pair of AN15. I guarantee once you hear them you won't be saying you need a tweeter.

It would be interesting to put the drivers in a horn style enclosure like Tannoy or Altec ( eg like Pano).
I have been playing around with more ideas. Talk about it later
Still love open baffle though

Last edited by Melon Head; 1st October 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 1st October 2012, 02:07 AM   #962
diyAudio Member

Been following Olsens thread. Noticed you commented on radian 745. Also been looking at diysoundgroup horn profiles. Will probably do both kind of speakers, but got to decide which to do first.
Old 1st October 2012, 02:13 AM   #963
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
For the money, I have not heard anything that comes close to AN15. Consider the fact if you went for a nice compression driver and horn (eg le cleach), that will cost you over a $1000 then you still have to purchase suitable woofers. Could easily exceed $2000 total.
If you live close to David Dicks then you could go demo a pair of AN15. I guarantee once you hear them you won't be saying you need a tweeter.

It would be interesting to put the drivers in a horn style enclosure like Tannoy or Altec ( eg like Pano).
I have been playing around with more ideas. Talk about it later
Still love open baffle though

Yes your right. Daivd did tell me I could come down and hear a pair in box before I bought them. Good to know you enjoy them.jm
Old 1st October 2012, 02:20 AM   #964
Octavia is online now Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

what about a rear facing super tweet some say that adds a nice sense of air without disrupting the full ranger's coherency
Old 1st October 2012, 02:29 AM   #965
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavia View Post
what about a rear facing super tweet some say that adds a nice sense of air without disrupting the full ranger's coherency
I know what you are thinking, but just forget about all of that till you have them and are listening to them.
Old 1st October 2012, 02:38 AM   #966
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Been following Olsens thread. Noticed you commented on radian 745. Also been looking at diysoundgroup horn profiles. Will probably do both kind of speakers, but got to decide which to do first.
Build the AN15 first, there is a very good chance once you hear them you will be extremely happy.
Old 1st October 2012, 02:49 AM   #967
diyAudio Member

Ok. Its yout fault
Old 1st October 2012, 02:58 AM   #968
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
It's shaping up nicely. This driver is a keeper, I recommend it so if you want to build something around it then go for it. Of course, how you use the driver is also important.

I'll post further updates into my thread as it evolves.
The already excellent Bass definitely keeps improving with extended break in. If you want to speed up the process run 2Vpk (no more) sweeping between 35Hz and 45Hz every night for a week.
Old 1st October 2012, 03:11 AM   #969
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A very good silk dome tweeter brought in on a cap only slant with hinge at 13 kHz will work very nicely front firing. I would be very careful about wide dispersion rear firing unless you have very good control over your back wall surfaces. AN15 OB doesn't get much over 13 k and noticeably less on the back side, though I have never measured it. Nor do I have a pair to work with. These hell bent for leather, nude, Lowther's have my plate FULL at the moment.

Bud
Old 1st October 2012, 03:57 AM   #970
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't think the AN15 is a great choice for dipole full-range. The driver looks designed to provide full range firing forwards and the freq. response off the backside will be very different. I think there are much better options for dipole.

But OB doesn't mean it has to be designed as the perfect dipole - not in my book anyhow.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!