My New Audio Nirvana Drivers - Page 96 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2012, 12:10 PM   #951
diyAudio Member

Melon Head said angled up, maybe 10' away, the voices didn't seem to be coming from the floor. Seems odd when tweet speakers sound like they are on the floor.

I've read on full range drivers or wide-band plus supertweet, if the setup is lower, it seems to image higher than the drivers.

It would be cheap enough to throw it on a 4' x 4' and try it.
Then again, maybe the front wall bounce (if small baffle) tricks the brain into thinking the image is higher.................

Norman
Old 27th September 2012, 12:31 PM   #952
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Like my dad used to say of Jackie O. "tall and thin always wins".
Old 28th September 2012, 07:40 AM   #953
diyAudio Member

Well,

I plan to make it a U-frame for the woofer, but opened for the AN.

So I don't know if you can still call it tall and slim... Will look more like a pregnant lady

Oon
Old 30th September 2012, 09:53 PM   #954
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oon_the_kid View Post
Hi Melon Head,

Been toying around an OB project based on your recommendation for the AN-15 cast frame. Looking fr a matching 15" woofer to go with it. I suspect the AN15 xmax of 1mm might not be enough. Besides, I think if the AN-15 is relieved of heavy bass work it might sound even better...

Any suggestions? Did you try your AN15 with any woofers yet?

Was looking at this one

Celestion 15" Professional Woofer 8 Ohm 299-418

Seems to have a pretty good flat frequency response down to 30Hz.

Oon
OK I am back now.

I definitely agree with woofer support on a relatively narrow baffle, however I hesitate to advise on cheap woofers as you might ruin the high performance of the AN15. Sought of like adding vegemite to a nice chocolate milkshake - that could be scary.

I have stack of cheap MCM woofers arriving soon I can let you know what I think of them when they arrive.

What ever you do don't use Eminence Alpha.

At the moment the only woofers I would recommend are the GPA416 or another pair of Super 15 Cast Frame (but not cheap)
The problem is you might need 2 pairs as support like what I have. If the wings go deep enough you might be OK.

I have to go I will be back later
Old 30th September 2012, 10:03 PM   #955
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melon Head View Post
Sought of like adding vegemite to a nice chocolate milkshake - that could be scary.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:08 PM   #956
diyAudio Member

Bigun, how is your opinion of AN15 shaping up? MH, what do you think of horns. Its speaker time in ky world and i have decisions to make.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:29 PM   #957
diyAudio Member

It would be nice given the price if a quartet of MCM woofers actually could make a good foundation under the AN15 so do let us know what you find.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:43 PM   #958
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
Bigun, how is your opinion of AN15 shaping up? MH, what do you think of horns. Its speaker time in ky world and i have decisions to make.
It's shaping up nicely. This driver is a keeper, I recommend it so if you want to build something around it then go for it. Of course, how you use the driver is also important.

I'll post further updates into my thread as it evolves.

But I'm distracted right now building the Martello-2's whilst the climate allows me to work out on the driveway. And I have a trip to Europe soon and have to take them with me to deliver them to their final owner.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 30th September 2012, 11:47 PM   #959
diyAudio Member

I was going to see if my friend wanted apair of the A.N. cast frame 15's but, due to out of stock they will not have them intill nov. I was told. Sounds like you guys are having a blast.Real cool post. Wish I had the money to join the fun. Jm
Old 30th September 2012, 11:53 PM   #960
diyAudio Member

cool just in time for christmas presents

Hide this!Advertise here!