My New Audio Nirvana Drivers - Page 95 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2012, 11:00 AM   #941
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
sorry, my mistake

Last edited by tsiros; 15th September 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 15th September 2012, 11:03 AM   #942
Banned

That is interesting
What Spl are you at?

How are you measuring it?

Do you have other speakers you can compare it to?
Old 15th September 2012, 11:25 AM   #943
Banned

What amps are you currently using?
Old 26th September 2012, 06:22 AM   #944
diyAudio Member

Hi Melon Head,

Been toying around an OB project based on your recommendation for the AN-15 cast frame. Looking fr a matching 15" woofer to go with it. I suspect the AN15 xmax of 1mm might not be enough. Besides, I think if the AN-15 is relieved of heavy bass work it might sound even better...

Any suggestions? Did you try your AN15 with any woofers yet?

Was looking at this one

Celestion 15" Professional Woofer 8 Ohm 299-418

Seems to have a pretty good flat frequency response down to 30Hz.

Oon
Old 26th September 2012, 03:14 PM   #945
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

+1 on the support woofer idea Oon. The Celestion looks good but another alternative might be the MCM cast frame 55-2963 it has similar efficiency, lower Fs, higher Xmax, and lower price. However it has higher Vas of 10.1 cubic ft. rather than the 6.18 cubic ft. of the Celestion, but does that really matter in Open Baffle or Slot Loaded?
Old 26th September 2012, 04:53 PM   #946
diyAudio Member

Looks interesting. Thanks for introducing me to MCM. However will more likely stick with the celestion. The idea that your speaker has bullet proof material in it sounds kinda cool.

On a different note, quite often the Fs goes down because the cone is heavier, making it closer to a sub rather than a woofer. The Mms is not mentioned so it is purely guess work...

oon
Old 26th September 2012, 04:59 PM   #947
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think you'd be surprised by how much bass 1mm of an AN15 products. The issues is more likely the design of the baffle. If you go with a tall slim baffle then a woofer near the floor is likely a must, but if you use a wider baffle, angled back with AN15 mounted lower down then it may be just fine by it'self and perhaps worth a try ? Look at this: OBL11
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 27th September 2012, 06:32 AM   #948
diyAudio Member

One thing which is not obvious by the T-S parameters is how the thing will actually sound.

The MCM is made out of treated paper cone, the celestion is a paper/kevlar hybrid which would probably stiffen the cone.

A stiff cone will probably produce a punchier bass.

The Art of Speaker Design, Part II

scroll below and look under rigid cone drivers.

Would have liked a pure kevlar or carbon fibre, but don't think anybody is selling this at my price range...

Oon
Old 27th September 2012, 06:54 AM   #949
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I think you'd be surprised by how much bass 1mm of an AN15 products. The issues is more likely the design of the baffle. If you go with a tall slim baffle then a woofer near the floor is likely a must, but if you use a wider baffle, angled back with AN15 mounted lower down then it may be just fine by it'self and perhaps worth a try ? Look at this: OBL11
Well very likely it will be tall slim baffle, which is why I am getting a woofer... Don't think the AN will sound nice mounted lower down, will sound as if the music is from the floor...

Oon
Old 27th September 2012, 11:44 AM   #950
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link to Lynn Olson's comments, it made for a good read and the man has a wealth of knowledge. You might very well be right about the paper kevlar composite being superior, although i do note that the MCM cones have concentric rings which I would think would help produce a more rigid structure. Whether or not that also helps reduce cone resonances I don't know. Lynn's comments also remind me of the whole Enabl treatment process which seems to be an effort to address many of the things he is talking about.

Hide this!Advertise here!