My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cracking sound? Bloody hell. Are you sure that the drivers were not damaged or faulty?

I don't think so. They were brand new. A friend sent them to me for testing.

There's no cracking with music playback. It came on when I did a Gated sweep.

I'm sure the cracking sound can be produced with a normal sine sweep. If you have a signal generator, do a manual sine sweep with the amp's output at 2.83Vrms. Start at 1kHz and slowly sweep upwards. Between 4kHz to 6kHz, see whether there is one frequency where the whizzer vibrates uncontrollably. You may want to get hold of some ear plugs/muffs before doing this. The AN is pretty loud at 2.83Vrms. :D

I'm not implying that the AN are bad drivers. Just something I picked up when I tested the AN12 CF.

I don't think so. They were brand new. A friend sent them to me for testing.

There's no cracking with music playback. It came on when I did a Gated sweep.

I'm sure the cracking sound can be produced with a normal sine sweep. If you have a signal generator, do a manual sine sweep with the amp's output at 2.83Vrms. Start at 1kHz and slowly sweep upwards. Between 4kHz to 6kHz, see whether there is one frequency where the whizzer vibrates uncontrollably. You may want to get hold of some ear plugs/muffs before doing this. The AN is pretty loud at 2.83Vrms. :D

I'm not implying that the AN are bad drivers. Just something I picked up when I tested the AN12 CF.

exactly the drivers i have.

i am pretty ******* sure that if the AN12CF had such an issue it would be pretty well known here on these forums.

something is going wrong but if this proves to be a general characteristic of the AN12CFs i will shave my testicles with a rusty spoon

You may want to get hold of some ear plugs/muffs before doing this. The AN is pretty loud at 2.83Vrms. :D

Just something I picked up when I tested the AN12 CF.
Now this is exactly the type of crazy stuff that interests me. LMAO Seriously though I would be asking to have them replacec. Even though 1W is way above what I listen at. I wouldn't put up with that. I would be complaining about it to David.

Last edited:
The AN I tested were the Super 12CF. The top (violet) plot is the Gated Sweep from 1K-20K. The bottom plot (green) is without gating from 200Hz-20K.

Attachments

• SUPER12_RAW.jpg
    SUPER12_RAW.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 175
He said at 1W he could hear a loud cracking noise.
Normal listening levels are usually in the order of 1/8 of a Watt. That's max dynamic Watts. As a guess normal listening levels at 5kHz might be around 1/32 W
Hence the reason why it is not heard during music playback.
If it was me I would not put up with that. I would ask for replacement drivers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.