My New Audio Nirvana Drivers - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2012, 12:10 AM   #111
tsiros is offline tsiros  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to tsiros Send a message via Skype™ to tsiros
Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
lots of rock music is distortion, massive imperfection far from the sound the guitar strings actually produced but we find it pleasing.
whoa there. as a guitarist i have to say is not at all how you describe it. the entire chain guitar-amp-speaker-cab is the instrument. (some, include the mic in the chain, i think it is incorrect to do so, because what the guitarist hears when he plays is not the mic's output, it is the cabinet's output which the mic tries to capture.)
Old 27th June 2012, 12:19 AM   #112
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dramblys View Post
I can share my experience with super 8 cast frame in 5.6 bass reflex cabs.
The clarity and live factor are amazing. I drive it mainly with Dared set amp listening to classical and some jazz.
Having wished many times to have heard the great performers in a concert, I can say with conviction that this set up so far has been as close as I can imagine to a live performance.
Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis performed for me in my room as many times as I asked
This is exactly what I am experiencing with my drivers. I find the 15"s are a definite improvement all round for a one driver set-up. Regarding bass: Quality is so much more important than quantity, and these woofers absolutely deliver. I am a bass player and I do not find these 15"s lacking. A lot of guys that build open baffles often put the woofer very close to the ground for the exact same reason you did so need to feel silly about that.

Last edited by Melon Head; 27th June 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:27 AM   #113
Banned

Ok guys, lets not get into a debate about music reproduction. You are going to love these speakers Tsiros. I will help you as much as I can. I am absolutely loving what I am hearing at the moment
Old 27th June 2012, 01:30 AM   #114
diyAudio Member

and what does it sound like playing Pink Floyd ? Nine Inch Nails ? Tracy Chapman ? Diana Krall ? Jennifer Warnes ? Bob Segar ?

I don't really care what a piano sounds like, but hearing voice and / or with other stuff is more of an acid test to me. I'm not sure what a piano sounds like in my room.

NOrman
Old 27th June 2012, 01:43 AM   #115
Banned

Yeah voice is beautiful. Can you recommend any tracks you specifically like and I will download a hi res version of it and try it out
Old 27th June 2012, 01:52 AM   #116
Banned

How about: Sade - Smooth Operator. Do you like that?
Old 27th June 2012, 02:43 AM   #117
Banned

What is the best version of Brick In The Wall
Old 27th June 2012, 04:14 AM   #118
diyAudio Member

I prefer sade "somebody already broke my heart". Awesome bass.

best brick in the wall? probably anything on decent headphones :-)

Norman
Old 27th June 2012, 10:50 AM   #119
diyAudio Member

What is not so good with the drivers ?

It is true that resonances in the drivers can become painful depending on the music, the singer (instrument), and where driver resonances fall. Looking closely at the freq response of an an15, there is up to a 10db lift in the presence region. I'm not sure I can live with that unequalized. That may sound hashy. I suspect hearing brushes on cymbals easily may be a clue to that.

My tb 1808 had a +5db lift from 1.5khz-3.5khz, that was annoying. Initially it seemed like detail such as hearing the skin tonality of a floor tom, then it got annoying once you realize it shouldn't be there after listening to flatter speakers and headphones. I sold it. To me, a >$200 8" speaker should not need an equalizer or a notch. But I'm in the minority. People love the 1808, just not me.

That daft punk song originally linked too is an example of learning acid tests in recordings to sniff out problems.

But if your music plus your speaker doesn't set off the resonances, then it is a good match !!!!!!!!

If I remember correctly, Bob Brines said that once you equalized drivers flat, they sound very similar (given same cone size).

Melon Head, did you use the freq shaping circuit with the seas fr22 8" driver ?
Even if you did, there is still a 4db spike at 3khz, but otherwise should be a fine driver.

Nelson Pass
"I like it with amplifiers having a lower damping factor, maybe 2 to 4, and
usually tweak the top end with a little RC loading across the terminals.

I think you can do better, but not at the price. And of course you can add
a sub and a good high frequency driver."

Norman
Old 27th June 2012, 11:16 AM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
I think you can do better, but not at the price. And of course you can add
a sub and a good high frequency driver."

Norman
i was actually thinking the AN15 a top of an 18" low frequency PA driver with a super tweeter in an H frame open baffle set up.

i can't help but think multiways have their merits and quite a few people are very impressed with F.A.S.T. so really this is like a 'very' F.A.S.T system for those who like music to come at them like the jet exhaust on a 747 and can't quite figure out compound horns etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!