My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My 15 AN just arrived!
Will post the impressions and some pictures soon.

Assuming the TS parameters are correct, you might need to play around with the port tuning quite a bit in the 5.6 cabinet. Possibly something like what Planet 10 said with drilling heaps of small holes in the back. Anyway just listen too them first. I also really like what Norman is doing. The 15s should sound excellent in that open baffle.

Although I have yet not received my AN 15 cast frame drivers
(due tomorrow!), I can share my experience with super 8 cast frame in 5.6 bass reflex cabs.
The clarity and live factor are amazing. I drive it mainly with Dared set amp listening to classical and some jazz.
Having wished many times to have heard the great performers in a concert, I can say with conviction that this set up so far has been as close as I can imagine to a live performance.
Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis performed for me in my room as many times as I asked:)
As a classical pianist a care in particular about tone color as that for me is a key in emotional expression.
These speakers perform amazingly in that respect especially with good lp pressing.
(Empire 598).
I often missed the power of the bass... then I did something something.
I flipped the speakers upside down (slowly) so that the driver is near the floor
and the vent is air level. I lost a little it of the clarity, but the tonal balance became much better. My wife (who is professional violinist) thought at first that I got a subwoofer.
I know this is probably very wrong by any hifi measure, but I like it so far.
I am looking forward to receive 15 inch drivers so I can flip my speakers rightside up again :)

Have you tried the 8's in the 2.8 ambience cab? Or did you just decide to go right to the 5.6?

Have you tried the 8's in the 2.8 ambience cab? Or did you just decide to go right to the 5.6?

Since it was my first DIY project, I went for the "bigger" size. Actually I was going to build 13cf cabs at first, but David at Common Sense audio talked me out of it. In retrospect, he just might have saved my marriage:)
Only after starting to glue the panels together (and failing miserably at first until I started using actual clamps) I realized how massive they were going to be!

Now I am happy that I have something suitable for 15" and only have to not screw up with cutting bigger holes. (cutting about to commence).

The problem you might have is the velocity of the air in the port might be too high ang you could hear port chuffing/turbulence. To reduce the velocity all you need to do is put in another port of the same dimensions. However the port tuning is probably not optimal for the 15" but let your ears be the judge. I would not recommend any changes till you have had a good listen

The bigger the port the... lower is the tuning?
Right now I have single ports. I believe they are tuned to 50hertz.
How should I proceed?

All else equal, the larger the vent area [Av], the higher tuned it will be while the longer the vent [Lv] for a given area, the lower tuned it will be. Make Av larger and you must increase Lv to maintain tuning.

Based on published specs, the vent needs to be longer to flatten out the driver's LF response and if driven with a high out impedance [tube] amp, then ideally you want it tuned to the driver's Fs. That, or stuff both the cab and vent as required until it sounds as good as it's going to in such an acoustically small cab.

GM

FWIW, with acoustically small cabs I just copied early cinema bass horn compression chamber designs and put on heavily ventilated back plates [braced pegboard in my case] and covered them with damping as required to get the best compromise between vented and OB.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.