Polyfill in mMar-Kel70s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm almost finished building my first enclosure! The mMar-Kel70. I'm looking forward to hearing how it sounds!

I'm having trouble locating felt/batting to use for lining here in San Francisco, so I'm looking at stuffing with polyfill out of a cheap pillow. How much polyfill do I put in there? From what I've read it seems you want to go about 50% full? The way I understand this is to get enough polyfill in there so that there's not much space left, but not pack it in at all.

I hadn't looked at auto shops, but the furniture/carpeting/fabric shops I have looked at either
- don't have anything suitable,
- want to sell me 100 sq ft, or
- are inconvenient to get to (I'm new here, so I'm without vehicle).

I'll have a look at auto shops though, thanks. Am I likely to get a better result out of felt lining?

speaking of attaching the felt: how do you do it?
is the full surface area attached better?

or is stapeling every few inches enough?

and what thickness of felt do you recommend?

I line all inside walls except for areas immediately proximate to vent openings

1/2" - 3/4" thick material if cut carefully to size will almost friction fit -it doesn't need to tightly "couple" to panels, just not fall out of place -

I use white PVA wood glue (Weldbond, etc)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
This os 3/8", 9mm thick. You may need to peel off the "tin foil". I suspect it is the same felt we use but thinner. Someone in the US should check this out in person and report back.

48 in. x 6 ft. Radiant Barrier-30000-11406 at The Home Depot

attachment.php

This is 2" thick insulation density stuff... much less dense than the felt. Excellent for volume fill. Not really useful iining the walls of small boxes. Big boxes it would serve like, but be better, than fiberdlass (wall insulation density)

48 in. x 6 ft. Radiant Barrier-30000-11406 at The Home Depot

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• UT-foil-felt.jpg
    UT-foil-felt.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 191
  • UT-insulation.jpg
    UT-insulation.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 196
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.