lowther dx2 in phy style cabs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi zen
i was thinking that also but have noticed people using this driver in ob with good reports

this cab could be classed as a style of ob/br hybrid

here is another from musical affairs which seems to have a karlson slot on the rear

sheafer

Attachments

• musical affairs.jpg
    musical affairs.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 271
The Lowther driver, in addition to having the wrong Qt for open-baffle or "lossy" cabinets, has VERY limited excursion. If you want to run it that way you'll need to high pass it, and use something else to reproduce the bass. quarter-wave.org has a open-baffle Lowther project that illustrates this concept.

Or check this page at Lowther America: http://www.lowther-america.com/page2/page12/page12.html

I did the following study of the drivers:

Lowthers on baffle 110x60, 65 high.jpg
It shows the Lowthers are great for above about 150 Hz, the PM6C is better with its less strong magnet. The PM2A has a sensitivity that is too high for a lot of supplementary low frequency drivers.

288076d1340112614t-open-baffle-field-coil-speaker-seas-lowther-b200.jpg

The low can be well added by a B200 as that suspension works well for low in the open baffle; this one is in the low position.

I just bought a pair.

g,day all

i decided to just jump in and try the open back cabs and with some carefull placement of wool behind the drivers they sound very promising
more fidling to come
the timber is poplar and is still raw ,not sure how i will finnish it yet but it looks great:scratch:
oh and ignore the mess its, my hobby room and full of whatever i happen to feel like messing with at the time

Attachments

• lowther 001.jpg
    lowther 001.jpg
    298.1 KB · Views: 137
  • lowther 002.jpg
    lowther 002.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 138
  • lowther 003.jpg
    lowther 003.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 138
  • lowther 004.jpg
    lowther 004.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 55
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.