FE127e replacement - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 02:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Default FE127e replacement

Some years ago, I had my carpenter build (for my friend) ML-TQWT enclosures, much like this one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Can't find the exact plans I used, but they also came with schematics for some kind of equalization/BSC circuit, which we had, built into the binding posts.

Now, both the drivers are torn and battered (damn the movers!). Recommended drop in replacement drivers, now that the Fe127e is no longer available?

I've spent the last couple of hours poking around here for a definitive solution, but I'm not sure I'm getting anywhere... The CSS EL70 seems to come up as a good replacement?

I realize that the lower sensitivity means that the t-amp which was being used is no longer an option... anyway its busted and we'll have to look for a suitable amp once we have found the driver. Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks for inputs...
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings View Post
Some years ago, I had my carpenter build (for my friend) ML-TQWT enclosures, much like this one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Can't find the exact plans I used, but they also came with schematics for some kind of equalization/BSC circuit, which we had, built into the binding posts.

Now, both the drivers are torn and battered (damn the movers!). Recommended drop in replacement drivers, now that the Fe127e is no longer available?

I've spent the last couple of hours poking around here for a definitive solution, but I'm not sure I'm getting anywhere... The CSS EL70 seems to come up as a good replacement?

I realize that the lower sensitivity means that the t-amp which was being used is no longer an option... anyway its busted and we'll have to look for a suitable amp once we have found the driver. Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks for inputs...

Closest drop-in replacement for the FE127E would likely be the FF125WK - exact same basket / cutout pattern, and very similar sensitivity.

The CSS EL70 would be a great candidate for a metronome as well - I'm not sure how many may have been built, but the calculated dimensions are found here

The Metronome


You'll note quite substantial differences between dimensions for the FE127E vs EL70 - as much as I like both drivers, I'd be inclined towards the FF125Wk for this application.
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 05:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Jim Shearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
And while you are at it, why not order the Fostex grills to protect against accidents and curious fingers? As they say, "I saw the sign", and have added grills to all my builds now. The change in sound is minor compared with what can happen otherwise...

Cheers, Jim
__________________
A day without music is like a day without food.
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shearer View Post
And while you are at it, why not order the Fostex grills to protect against accidents and curious fingers? As they say, "I saw the sign", and have added grills to all my builds now. The change in sound is minor compared with what can happen otherwise...

Cheers, Jim

agreed - and if you really think you can hear the difference, the metal Fostex grilles could probably be fitted with little neo magnets for quick removal by "trained specialists"
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 09:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
agreed - and if you really think you can hear the difference, the metal Fostex grilles could probably be fitted with little neo magnets for quick removal by "trained specialists"
Indeed. I did this with the 6" grills. The mounting holes are 6mm. You can force 1/4" magnets into them. They will hold to the driver mounting screws.

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Bigun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Blog Entries: 2
I have a pair of FE127's that are sitting unused that I was planning to sell on. They were installed in boxes but not used so I took them out again. PM me if interested.
__________________
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:55 PM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
I have a pair of FE127's that are sitting unused that I was planning to sell on. They were installed in boxes but not used so I took them out again. PM me if interested.

note potential destination - freight charges from Canada could well exceed cost of new drivers sourced more locally?
__________________
you don't really believe everything you think, do you?
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com commercial site planet10-HiFi
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 08:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New Zealand
I've been modelling both the FE127 and the FF125WK in the metronome. The metronome is very forgiving of the driver and the FF125WK will go in there. Volume is on the large side and the port could do with a slight lengthening.

Did you seal the inside? (I never do, some others always do). If not then you could cut off a piece of the bottom (making it shorter) and make a new port. It would be best to recalculate the port length for the new volume. (depends what woodworking tools you have available - easy enough to do with a router but you still would need to refinish the enclosure)

According to some remarks by Dave (Planet 10) the new FF125WK is eclipsing the previous 4.5" drivers (IF I understand correctly this includes the F120A and FX120)

Last edited by AmadeusMozart; 4th July 2012 at 08:08 AM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
coating FE127E aussiebuddha Full Range 12 12th November 2012 06:55 PM
Sub for fe127e SimZeSun Subwoofers 2 19th August 2011 09:38 PM
fostex fe127e MisterTwister Swap Meet 4 29th July 2011 01:18 PM
FE127E terminations? Scribble Full Range 4 17th October 2008 09:20 AM
working with the Fe127e Roemhild Full Range 17 20th May 2006 07:41 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:15 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2