CSS SDX7 still viable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
klippel test results show what exactly?

or, how do those relate to a particular user's application?

So far the worse thing that I've experienced with the SDX7, or the CSS FR/WR125 is the very disturbing sound when over driven - somewhat easier to do in a mis-tuned or under-damped vented enclosure. I've not heard it in a fair range of sealed or critically damped vented designs - at least not at my listening levels (below 90dB on average)

This is typical of XBL2 drivers, the motors have more linear coil travel then the suspensions can cope with.

and even if the coil former is rugged enough to withstand ( a few) strikes against the backplate, the sonic effect is disconcerting to say the least - the first time we heard this on FR125 we thought the underpowered / low DF SE amp was at fault.

As Dave says this doesn't make the driver any less useful as per say, but it does mean that it isn't perhaps as special as it once appeared.
+1 , and now moot - as always it's a matter of using a device within its real world performance envelope

Maybe point to point. But looking at the graphs, I'd say even less. That is, if you want to stay within a linear range. Looks offset too.

This is like any other driver imo. There have only been a few drivers that bikinpunk has tested that come close to specs. Scan Illuminator is one of them. Personally, I put much more weight on other tests, and ultimately how it performs once hooked up and playing music. Particularly if it's going to be high passed. I listen to lots of woofers with likely less than 1mm linear travel, and enjoy them very much.

Maybe point to point. But looking at the graphs, I'd say even less. That is, if you want to stay within a linear range. Looks offset too.

This is like any other driver imo. There have only been a few drivers that bikinpunk has tested that come close to specs. Scan Illuminator is one of them. Personally, I put much more weight on other tests, and ultimately how it performs once hooked up and playing music. Particularly if it's going to be high passed. I listen to lots of woofers with likely less than 1mm linear travel, and enjoy them very much.

I couldn't agree more as to the relevance of virtually any measurements to actual listening, but if I understand Winslow's point, it's the discrepancy between claims and measurements that can lead to misapplication / disappointment - and unless done with malice, it serves purpose to point that out.

Too bad there wasn't a single stringent set of tests/ conditions required before publication of "measurements" of any type of loudspeaker driver - but who's gonna mandate and monitor it?

As it is, the results we see can often speak more about the test / testers than they can predict what we'll hear.

As it is, the results we see can often speak more about the test / testers than they can predict what we'll hear.

Re-reading I can see how my comment may have sounded that I meant bikinpunk's testing never matches up with published specs, and is therefore questionable, but that's not what I meant. I really respect Erin's work and trust his results. He's worked with a lot of big names to get to where he is.

What I meant was that the Klippel test that bikinpunk does usually shows serious flaws with most all drivers. Not just the SDX7. It's almost expected that even if a manufacturer claims 10mm of xmax, the actual linear range determined via Klippel testing will be,... 5mm. Even less maybe.

Xmax seems to be one of those things... We've seen it with so many manufacturers. Especially Mark Audio around here with his "alpairs aren't woofers" thread. There are so many ways to "measure" xmax. Klippel is one of those ways, that I personally think is very stringent, but most useful.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.