How to paint like this? (pic)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What, the flowers or the piano black?

The easy way is to use formica laminate.

Real piano black?

1. black stain (optional)
2. pore filler if needed
3. sanding sealer 2 coats. Sand lightly with 320 no load paper
4. black lacquer, 2 coats. Sand very lightly with 400 no load or wet or dry (wet).
5. Clear lacquer, 6-10 coats. Level sand with 600 wet before the last coat.
6. Rub out with 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 paper, wet.
7. Buff with fine compound like 3M 'Perfect-It', follow with swirl remover and glazing compound.

You thought it was going to be easy?? :)

BTW, I gave the sandpaper grits in N. american CAMI sizes, not euro P grade

What, the flowers or the piano black?

The easy way is to use formica laminate.

Real piano black?

1. black stain (optional)
2. pore filler if needed
3. sanding sealer 2 coats. Sand lightly with 320 no load paper
4. black lacquer, 2 coats. Sand very lightly with 400 no load or wet or dry (wet).
5. Clear lacquer, 6-10 coats. Level sand with 600 wet before the last coat.
6. Rub out with 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 paper, wet.
7. Buff with fine compound like 3M 'Perfect-It', follow with swirl remover and glazing compound.

You thought it was going to be easy?? :)

BTW, I gave the sandpaper grits in N. american CAMI sizes, not euro P grade

Oh thanks dude but my question was about the flowers and frog ;) I know Piano Black is neck-breaking job... is the speaker in above picture painted bare MDF or pre-laminated MDF?

thanks again

I suspect that is formica or similar laminate, with the design already there. It could be wallpaper, or a faked computer render for that matter.

You won't get that look handpainting. I can see that it is a repeat pattern. You could start with wallpaper (or fabric) glued on, and then do steps 3 (maybe), 5, 6, and 7 from above.

Always test on scrap...

The frog is probably a color computer printout glued on after the black coats, and before the clear coats.

Oh, BTW, with MDF you would start with a bunch of coats of opaque primer/sealer instead of sanding sealer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.