Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Banned

Default Frugalest of Horns.

I decided to build these on a whim last Saturday.
Actually I was doing some cleaning, decided to let myself get sidetracked.

"Clean up that pile of scrap wood and get rid of some old 8-track speakers eh?"

The hardest part was finding scraps that were suitable in shape for the build. In the picture you may notice I made the front and rear baffle in two pieces. I also made one side panel out of 5/8"s, everything else is 3/4" ply.

It might not be the best material but I figured it was OK for this shape of box.

I did add some dampening to the inside, not on the sides though. I also filled the smaller part of the horn with poly as per some pictures I found on the interweb.

As far as sound they are pretty good, I am not over the moon but it was definitely worth the effort. I tossed in some 5" Panasonic 12w deals. I actually had some Whizzer coned LLoyds to go in there, but sadly one had a rubbing voice coil so they were disposed of.

So I don't know what else to do with them. If I was to veneer, I might whip up another pair out of MDF or particle board. I could veneer these I suppose with a bit of sanding first as I used construction grade plywood.

What are your thoughts to using suprabaffles on these MK3s?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07478.JPG (264.5 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07492.JPG (213.6 KB, 563 views)
Old 15th June 2012, 02:17 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I love it. I have a whack of free drivers that would (likely) be an upgrade, if you want to pay post.
'
dave
Old 15th June 2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Banned

Sure what the heck, give me some time to load some dough onto my paypal, you can PM me your details. That is very kind of you.

I'm sure just about anything would be an upgrade. Just to verify, I cut a 5 1/2" hole for these, although if yours are different I could make a baffle/adapter.

lol you might notice my side panels were not tall enough to build the conventional way so I overhung the top and bottom panel to make up the extra height.
Old 15th June 2012, 03:07 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Will do.

I'll go thru and dig out some candidates and take pictures.

dave
Old 15th June 2012, 04:54 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

if you do decide to veneer or paint them, I'd suggest you first laminate a layer of 1/8" MDF / hardboard to the exposed faces - it'd take far less time than the filling/sanding required to get a smooth enough finish to not telegraph through the finish

if you decide on a second pair and don't quite have the budget for quality multi-plywood, I'd suggest particle board over MDF for sonics, although the former takes more prep time for a nice paint finish
Old 16th June 2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Squeak is offline Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Very good job with limited resources. The ply looks nice and thick, so it's probably "just" the driver that's holding it back and maybe you also want to line the parallel walls around the driver and throat.

WRT finish you could also glue som felt in a nice colour or other fabric/wallpaper on them.
That would save you a whole lot of sanding and and fret with the paint or veneer.

The advantage of felt is that it's very forgiving of small dimples and gaps in the wood.
And sonically it eliminates edge diffractions and HF vibrations.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Banned

Thanks for the tips, it is a fun build.

I will add the dampening to the two sidewalls around the driver.

As far as building a second pair out of particle core vs MDF that sounds good, as some veneered sheets are available particle core.

I might pull the stuffing toward and down the choke chamber a bit to see if I like that in the meantime. Not sure how subtle the changes will be or what I'm looking for with that.
I have been browsing some of the threads trying to play catch up.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
if you do decide to veneer or paint them, I'd suggest you first laminate a layer of 1/8" MDF / hardboard to the exposed faces - it'd take far less time than the filling/sanding required to get a smooth enough finish to not telegraph through the finish
Good advice there Mr. B.

Great job Alvis. If you don't like those, you just don't like DIY.

I know Dave has tons of drivers but if for some reason he can't find something, send me a PM.
Old 16th June 2012, 10:44 PM   #9
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Good advice there Mr. B.

Great job Alvis. If you don't like those, you just don't like DIY.

I know Dave has tons of drivers but if for some reason he can't find something, send me a PM.
I can't imagine Dave not finding something, unless he trips and falls over a pile of er, drivers, while looking for the appropriate drivers!!
don
Old 17th June 2012, 01:50 AM   #10
Jdot is offline Jdot  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jdot
Not bad for a Sat arvo!

Hide this!Advertise here!