Dac-nabbit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2012, 03:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dac-nabbit

Looking at Dac's I feel like an Amish schoolboy walking into a Hammacher-Schlemmer store. So while off topic, this is the most sensible audio forum on the net. I have always enjoyed building and playing with speakers, they make sense. I have lacked the patience to understand anything much more complex than a low power Class A silicon or Valve amp where I merely solder and follow instructions.

So with this apologia out of the way, what Dac's are the full range speaker tribe finding are a good match to sit between a low power amp and a high efficiency full range speaker? There are a dizzying number of options but as more and more of my music is digital I want to stop relying on my Mac's internal Dac's and build or buy an external Dac. I have found some discussion of this buried here and there but with a new chipset coming out almost quarterly these seem dated.

So what's in your system?
Old 13th June 2012, 04:57 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

PowerMac Dual G5 > Edirol (now Cakewalk) FA-66 Firewire DAC (some what idiosyncratic sonically punches above its cost, also ADC so i can use it w Fuzzmeasure to measure and with PureVinyl to suck my records into the 'puter) > Fornaco preamp.

I got an AudioQuest Carbon FW cable -- just to see if digital cables make a diff -- easily worth the $130 bucks i figure.

Exteranl USB disk for music storage

dave
Old 13th June 2012, 05:25 AM   #3
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
PowerMac Dual G5 > Edirol (now Cakewalk) FA-66 Firewire DAC (some what idiosyncratic sonically punches above its cost, also ADC so i can use it w Fuzzmeasure to measure and with PureVinyl to suck my records into the 'puter) > Fornaco preamp.

I got an AudioQuest Carbon FW cable -- just to see if digital cables make a diff -- easily worth the $130 bucks i figure.

Wxteranl USB dosck for music storage

dave

is that code for "generic external", rather than some exotic product name that will give the average search engine a stroke trying to find?
Old 13th June 2012, 05:50 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Damn my typing is good ain't it?

dave
Old 15th June 2012, 12:41 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, I reckon everyone else is still spinning vinyl.
Old 15th June 2012, 08:47 PM   #6
PJN is offline PJN  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi brucegseidner,

Not everybody, I still find the surface noise annoying. as to DACs you did say that you were handy enough to build simple amps, why not try a DAC kit ? there are many cheap DAC kits on EBAY. I picked up one from HIFIMEDIY that I really like a lot Hifimediy CS4398 DAC "direct out" NEW For the money it really competes with, or beats some more expensive DACs that I've built.

PJN
Old 15th June 2012, 10:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I built an AMB gamma1 that goes between my PC and tube amp, powering full rangers. Not sure if itís the optimal choice but it was a pretty straightforward build and I can hear improvement over my built-in soundcard.
Old 16th June 2012, 12:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

There are a dizzying array of Dac's. The ones I am wary of have inadequate voltage regulation and sketchy line amps using op-amps, that I am sorry to say, make the back of my neck hairs stand up. I am looking for an honest Dac, up-sampling is fine. But the creedal obligations of the design should be specified and I just can not live with a wall wart. I come from a generation where there were multi farad capacitors available for peanuts because everyone was changing to low voltage capacitors. We would build multi-farad banks that would dim the neighborhood when switched on and would continue to be lethal for a week when switched off. These Twisted Peach offerings seem to have a following on DiyAudio. Then there are the Chinese offerings which I can not decipher despite Chinese being my undergraduate language in college and spending 6 months as a lad in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

It would be fun to know what people are using and find a good match for the full range tribe. These speakers are different then the multi speaker, complex multi amped speakers, I used to build. These days I am interested in 5-15 watt class A Germanium silicon and tried and true valve amps. Maybe a Dac is a Dac is a Dac. But I was curious if the more sophisticated among the full range crowd had come to more of a consensus on what to do with digital input being voiced by a full range horn speaker.
Old 16th June 2012, 03:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I bought the Cambridge DacMagic Plus a few months ago. They make a real difference to the sound.
Handy is that you can also use it as a pre-amp as it has a high resolution digital volume control. Furthermore it has two inputs + usb which also makes it more practical than many USBs. Finally it also has balanced audio out. All this and a seriously nice sound.
Old 16th June 2012, 07:53 PM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

not played with DAC for awhile but an old Audio Note tube output stage DAC with tube shunt regulator I got cheap is nice - as long as its not loaded down. What's cool for so called high resolution tracks? (got a konnekt 6 - hope its ok)

Hide this!Advertise here!