just for fun - FF105wk ceramic FR

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The primary design objective was to have a pair of FR speakers for either side of a computer screen that would look cool, fun and unique. As the home already has several quality audio systems, audio quality priority ranked below aesthetics.

To be powered by a USB DAC/T-amp from a Mac, these triangle cabinets are made from 1/2" BB ply and are little under 3 liters, aprx 10" hi in back, 7" deep and 7" wide and use fostex 103wk's. The mirror-image pair have an inward facing 1" x 2-3" port which if I remember correctly was tuned to around 100hz.

They have a 1/4" baffle ring on which to mount the drivers to allow a surrounding 1/4" - 3/8" ceramic mosaic tile. I asked my sister Cindy, an accomplished ceramics/tile artist, if she would indulge this pair with something "fun, musicky and lots of colors" and from my perspective, she absolutely nailed it!

They sound much better than I expected; I believed going in that ceramic tile mosaics aren't known for their acoustic properties. They aren't home yet but there is a photo with a restored Sansui receiver to provide size perspective. This was great fun and these will be gracing our Mac on a butcher-block counter up against the wall. As usual, these were much more work than I or Cindy had expected but I'm ecstatic with the results!

Mario

Attachments

• ceramicspkrs-both .jpg
    ceramicspkrs-both .jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 429
  • precrmcspkrs-portangle.jpg
    precrmcspkrs-portangle.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 417
  • precrmcspkrs-int.jpg
    precrmcspkrs-int.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 347
  • crmcspkrs-nonportangle2.jpg
    crmcspkrs-nonportangle2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 328
  • crmcspkrs-straightup.jpg
    crmcspkrs-straightup.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 324
  • ceramicspkrs-port-angle.jpg
    ceramicspkrs-port-angle.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 350
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Those are very cute Mario.

I corrected the title, the driver is FF105wk.

It should also be noted that the ridge is supposed to be vertical, your "diamond" mounting will be counter to this.

I have FF105 on my bench now (an evaluation pair). i have been in the thrall of a pair of FF85 for the last couple weeks.

dave

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your comments. I mounted "diamond" to better hide the vertical split between the two semicircles that make up the raised baffle circle.

I also think you could come up with one hell commensurate color scheme for Enable treatment and I'll email you later about this.

Regards,
Mario

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Despite my initial trepidation of colour on the FFs, it turns out that, as long as you don't want something real bright, they can take colour really well. My favorite so far are the dusty orange in my uFonkenSET with the burgandy/marroon not far behind. I suspect blues, greens, and other primary colours should work well too.

FF85wKeN-copper-w-orange.jpg

dave

Despite my initial trepidation of colour on the FFs, it turns out that, as long as you don't want something real bright, they can take colour really well. My favorite so far are the dusty orange in my uFonkenSET with the burgandy/marroon not far behind. I suspect blues, greens, and other primary colours should work well too.

FF85wKeN-copper-w-orange.jpg

dave

these photo's don't quite do justice to the depth of the color attainable - it was certainly not on Fostex's list, but I think the grey surface of the new dual layered cones WK series make for some very interesting colors

Ceramic wedges w/ P-10 FF105wKeN

P-10 did a great job of customizing a pair of FF105wKeN for my wacky ceramic wedges. While I didn't A/B vs the original FF105wK seen above, these sound surprisingly great in this location and they're really cranking old Miles Davis as I type..... Thanks Dave!

Mario

PS: I plan to mount the drivers horizontal instead of current diamond mount as soon as I refinish the small circular wooden baffle to hide both the current screw holes and the vertical split in the baffle.

Attachments

• P8070125.jpg
    P8070125.jpg
    808.5 KB · Views: 75
  • P8070128.JPG
    P8070128.JPG
    434.3 KB · Views: 76
  • P8070127.JPG
    P8070127.JPG
    428.4 KB · Views: 104
  • P8070126.jpg
    P8070126.jpg
    833.7 KB · Views: 112
  • P8070122.JPG
    P8070122.JPG
    417.7 KB · Views: 97
  • P8070129.JPG
    P8070129.JPG
    454.5 KB · Views: 83
Those are very cute Mario.

I corrected the title, the driver is FF105wk.

It should also be noted that the ridge is supposed to be vertical, your "diamond" mounting will be counter to this.

I have FF105 on my bench now (an evaluation pair). i have been in the thrall of a pair of FF85 for the last couple weeks.

dave

I though your two favs. of the FF line was the FF85wk and the bigger FF125wk:D? Whats up with the FF105wk drivers only a $6.85 cost difference.Also Dave have you messed with the fe83ens and the fe103en? I know you have talked about the fe126en sorry not trying to get off the subject just wondering:scratch: Jm

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have onlt seriously explored the FF85 & the FF125. We started there because of the FE127 & the old FF85. 125 isn't what the 85 is, but is still very good (at least once i've done with it). Hoping the FF105 lands cloer to the 85.

Played with the FE83 (really, really only a mid-tweeter -- not near as capable as FF85) and FE103 only a bit -- old one didn't hold its own with FE127 in the line.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.