2.1 Amps!??? Arghhh - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2012, 05:03 AM   #1
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2.1 Amps!??? Arghhh

Why must every somewhat affordable plate amp have an unadjustable high pass filter at 150Hz?!

That seems like an all around bad design, why not put it at 80Hz where the sub would no longer be locatable?

With that crossover frequency there's only two things that can happen, neither of them good:

1)A huge frequency gap between 80 and 150 Hz (almost a whole octave)
2)An annoying transition between the mains and sub where you can tell the sound is from a different source

Dayton Audio MCA2250E 2.1 Channel Class D Amplifier 300-771

Come on Dayton... Even I can tell you thats a bad design. I wouldn't even touch it. In any circumstance. Ever.

And as a side note, adjustable sub and satellite volume but no system volume on the unit? Really people... Plus, a bass boost at 63 Hz? Lets try 50 Hz, max. Or just do away with it and give us a full system volume control instead

As far as I know, the only one I would look at in my price range (sub $200) is the xtant 2.2 Amplifier which is now out of production, I want one though. It's got both a L and R sub output with fully adjustable crossover, now we're talking. I can see two tapped horns each with an open baffle full ranger mounted on top.

Thank you for my rant...
Old 9th June 2012, 09:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

the xtant is a car audio amplifier
Old 9th June 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Because most small satellites can't do clean bass.

That Dayton would work with twin 8 ohm subs in separate cabinets.

You haven't a hope in hell of running a FR on an open baffle to 80Hz.

rgds, sreten.
Old 9th June 2012, 04:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

whole lot cheaper just buying your own amp board and SMPS from a polite china man, and then making whatever crossover you want. i refuse to pay multiple hundres of local currency for a plate amp that consists of 1/10th the price in parts.
Old 9th June 2012, 04:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

>>> You haven't a hope in hell of running a FR on an open baffle to 80Hz.

True.
Old 10th June 2012, 02:33 AM   #6
kctess5 is offline kctess5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
>>> You haven't a hope in hell of running a FR on an open baffle to 80Hz.

True.
Yeah but I could cross higher with one sub per side (2.2) because it wouldn't matter if it was locatable

Quote:
the xtant is a car audio amplifier
Doesn't that just mean I need to find a 12v source?
Old 10th June 2012, 12:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kctess5 View Post
Yeah but I could cross higher with one sub per side (2.2) because it wouldn't matter if it was locatable
Hi, Then 150Hz wouldn't be a problem for an ~ 30" wide open baffle, rgds, sreten.
Old 10th June 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think i am reaching about 150hz using a 12" eminence beta 12lta on a ~ 20" wide open baffle... but just barely.
Old 29th September 2012, 06:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

These 2.1 plate amps are a very convenient simple way to build an active system for peanuts with both low and high pass filters, perfect for protecting those delicate metal cone full range drivers.

I've been doing some research and with help from various forums have found 3 so far,
from Dayton, Mivoc and Keiga

Dayton Audio MCA2250E 2.1 Channel Class D Amplifier - Audio Amplifiers - Audio / Video

speaker trade - mivoc - Einzelchassis - A 3120 2.1 Aktiv- Verstärkermodul

Keiga Electronic Inc. - since 1996

The Mivoc is the most powerful but has a fixed active filter at 135 hz and built in filter below 45HZ No idea how it sounds as i can't read the german sites.

The Keiga I have seen on google search in a system using a 6.5" TB subwoofer. It is the least powerful at 50 w plus 2x 25 w but is very compact and I think has a built in back compartment. Sound is apparently smooth but not the best for detail and soundstage.

The Dayton is slightly more powerful than the Keiga and is supposed to sound 'cleaner'. Yes it has separate controls for sub and sat but this doesn't matter as the source (iPod etc)is the master volume control anyway

Anyone used the Mivoc or the Keiga?

Last edited by Bill poster; 29th September 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Yes it has separate controls for sub and sat but this doesn't matter
as the source (iPod etc) is the master volume control anyway.
Hi,

It does matter as it allows adjustment of the matching of drivers.
I understand your point, but separate controls are an advantage.

rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!