2.1 Amps!??? Arghhh - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 09:15 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

It does matter as it allows adjustment of the matching of drivers.
I understand your point, but separate controls are an advantage.

rgds, sreten.
Yes, what I mean is, people criticize the dayton amp for having separate controls when most of us now use computers or iPods to control the system.

here's the Keiga amp used in a system with Fostex FRs

http://www.specimenproducts.com/satellite-subwoofer/

http://www.specimenproducts.com/enjoy-the-music-com/

Last edited by Bill poster; 29th September 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 29th September 2012, 11:29 PM   #12
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

The answer is just to build ( DIY after all) or buy a real electronic crossover. Even a $90 Bheringer is better than the plate amps. You can do a steeper crossover and then go a bot higher without as much sub localization.
Old 30th September 2012, 03:23 AM   #13
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
The answer is just to build ( DIY after all) or buy a real electronic crossover. Even a $90 Bheringer is better than the plate amps. You can do a steeper crossover and then go a bot higher without as much sub localization.

OTOH, part of the appeal of the all in one 2.1 plate amp is that, well it's all in one package. Certainly the cheaper ones are limited in flexibility compared to any number of brands of separates, but then plate amps in that price range are generally chosen for situations where some compromise is tolerable - if even detectable.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:23 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Exactly. Its an all in one active module, controlled by the source.
BTW I noticed that the Dayton plate amp has its satellite high pass filters set @ 150hz 2nd order. Would obviously prefer it lower but on second thoughts the sub x/o can be set lower and the slight dip around 120hz would control the bloated upper bass so many sub systems suffer from.
I wish Hypex would make a 2.1 like this.

Last edited by Bill poster; 30th September 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 30th September 2012, 01:56 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

So build your own. Class D amps and some nifty DSP crossovers so you can do exactly what you want. So, either build an amp/crossover (modify) or build speakers that match what the available plate does. It is a system. If you just pick one of these and another of those, well, the outcome is predictable and not a good story.
Old 30th September 2012, 03:22 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I can't be dealing with separate components, I'll electrocute myself.

So system matching is what I'm planning; the woofer I have now doesn't match the plate amp. So I'll have to buy maybe like a TB W61139 or Dayton SD215. Both are 4 ohm and can be driven by 50watts, bearing in mind an active 50 watts is superior to passive. I might possibly upgrade some of the components on the plate amp, if its possible.

Last edited by Bill poster; 30th September 2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 30th September 2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm with Bill on this. That Dayton plate amp is exactly what I'm looking for to run a compact bedroom system with minimum fuss.
Old 30th September 2012, 10:25 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Components will be surface mount. Possible, but a pain. The speakers are always the weak link, so design speaker systems to use the plate and don't worry about the plate.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

For the sats I'm thinking to use a pair of Bandors if I can get hold of them (I only have a single driver somewhere..)So thats why I'm concerned about the sound quality of the plate amp, will it be up to the job.

Last edited by Bill poster; 1st October 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 1st October 2012, 05:46 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Exactly. Its an all in one active module, controlled by the source.
BTW I noticed that the Dayton plate amp has its satellite high pass filters set @ 150hz 2nd order. Would obviously prefer it lower but on second thoughts the sub x/o can be set lower and the slight dip around 120hz would control the bloated upper bass so many sub systems suffer from.
I wish Hypex would make a 2.1 like this.

well at the quality levels of the Hypex, I think the AS2.100 or 2.400 is as close as you'll get from them for now - still need the outboard amp for woofer

it does look like not a whole helluva lot of choice in this particular niche yet - FWIW the couple of Dayton electronics products I've had exposure to were quite acceptable sonically

Unless you're putting the whole system into something like a retro style console, toolbox/carry-on suitcase or building into a wall, you'll need at least 3 separate speaker enclosures and connecting cables - so for those folks looking to limit overall clutter, the convenience of placing the amp modules in those boxes is very appealing

Hide this!Advertise here!