Alpair 10.1 in a car - enclosure design... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th June 2012, 07:03 AM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
Care to explain why? (consider me a newb to the DIY scene)
if for no other reason than the very high ambient noise floor, car audio speakers tend to get abused far more than we think, and as wonderful as they might be, the Alpairs are quite simply not designed for the task

proceed at your peril- and that's all I'll say on the subject
Old 8th June 2012, 09:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have a couple of JX92s in my Ford Puma. I simply removed the magnetic shield and drilled some additional holes and they fit in a treat. Considerably better than the Ford speakers.
Old 8th June 2012, 03:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
if for no other reason than the very high ambient noise floor, car audio speakers tend to get abused far more than we think, and as wonderful as they might be, the Alpairs are quite simply not designed for the task

proceed at your peril- and that's all I'll say on the subject

Hey, that's not your final statement here I hope. I like your line of reasoning acoustically. Regular car noise floor is ~83db or so? How high does the rms need to climb before I'll be happily listening to music and not noise? The clarity advantage aside, they will obviously get stressed more than I would prefer Alpair drivers to get stressed, but what will the failure decline be? I only plan on owning the car for so long. Will they degrade slowly in clarity or just finally kick into distortion on frequency x?

If I seriously increase the STL of the car with mass loaded vinyl and some UV tint on the windows, would that help for these drivers? The roof is done now with a significantly higher STL. Just brainstorming.
Old 8th June 2012, 04:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

My primary concern is that this 3 L box in each corner of your windscreen is going to be a serious limitation your visibility. This looks like a safety hazard to me.

Bob
Old 8th June 2012, 05:25 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

had to tease another response eh?

I have no doubt that the Jordans, or any of the Alpairs would be substantial sonic improvements over most stock auto drivers, but even with careful XO to reduce low frequency duty cycle and appropriate enclosure volume/installation location (e.g. not door mounted ) , my concern would be the long term durability of the lightweight metal cones.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid - like I said earlier, it would be most interesting for the manufacturer of the drivers to comment on the advisability of the project, as well as the warranty implications.
Old 8th June 2012, 11:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
My primary concern is that this 3 L box in each corner of your windscreen is going to be a serious limitation your visibility. This looks like a safety hazard to me.

Bob

Visibility is going to be very minimally compromised. Only the corners of the front view will be obscured (i.e. if I want to see directly toward my front tires I may see slightly less and I may see less of my wiper blades at rest, but daily driving will be unimpeded). I'm more worried about the events of a collision and how I plan to secure the enclosures in place.

As far as the durability of the metal cones, the aluminum that they're spun from would probably have a better time with humidity and temperature fluctuations than a basic paper cone. I do understand that excessive xmax stress will crinkle the cone slightly, but how much sonic implications will this type of abuse incur on the driver?
I'm not worried about warranty for the Alpairs due to the great deal on Bob's old stock that I got - I don't think I have any warranty from that transaction (maybe I do, but I don't care).

Oh, and chrisb, spoken like a true worried Canadian eh?
Quote:
Old 8th June 2012, 11:25 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
Visibility is going to be very minimally compromised. Only the corners of the front view will be obscured (i.e. if I want to see directly toward my front tires I may see slightly less and I may see less of my wiper blades at rest, but daily driving will be unimpeded). I'm more worried about the events of a collision and how I plan to secure the enclosures in place.

As far as the durability of the metal cones, the aluminum that they're spun from would probably have a better time with humidity and temperature fluctuations than a basic paper cone. I do understand that excessive xmax stress will crinkle the cone slightly, but how much sonic implications will this type of abuse incur on the driver?
I'm not worried about warranty for the Alpairs due to the great deal on Bob's old stock that I got - I don't think I have any warranty from that transaction (maybe I do, but I don't care).

Oh, and chrisb, spoken like a true worried Canadian eh?
if you've got a sub in your car, then cross the MA's over well above the point where the cone is actually going to be moving. outside of that you'll deafen yourself before you max the driver out. i've ony got a single car sub dealing with 20-100hz, the MA's have a high pass on to protect them from ever getting enough excursion to hurt them. the boxes they were in were originally made to go in the house, i've just screwed them onto the back shelf.

although i don't go to SPL meets or similar stuff like that. i run them at moderate listening volumes.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:25 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I have no doubt that the Jordans, or any of the Alpairs would be substantial sonic improvements over most stock auto drivers, but even with careful XO to reduce low frequency duty cycle and appropriate enclosure volume/installation location (e.g. not door mounted ) , my concern would be the long term durability of the lightweight metal cones.
Never had an issue with the Jordans. The cones are quite thin but also quite strong and can't be easily damaged by over-driving. Also they are much more resilient to aging than paper. The Ford speakers I replaced were warped, faded and degraded. The Jordans have held up with no damage, even under high volumes. It's not an issue. I don't know about the Mark Audio drivers, I haven't tried them long term. They are quite different to the Jordans as the metal cone is alot thinner. I would imagine they give better off-axis HF response though.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:31 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Warne View Post
Mark Audio drivers... They are quite different to the Jordans as the metal cone is alot thinner
The multiform cones are thin. The 1st gen like the A10 in question here are closer to the Jordan than they are to the multi-form cones.

dave
Old 11th June 2012, 10:41 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Right, although I believe the 1st gen MA drivers used a somewhat softer grade of alloy than the current models. Swings & roundabouts. Again.

Hide this!Advertise here!