Alpair 10.1 in a car - enclosure design... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 07:03 AM   #11
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
Care to explain why? (consider me a newb to the DIY scene)
if for no other reason than the very high ambient noise floor, car audio speakers tend to get abused far more than we think, and as wonderful as they might be, the Alpairs are quite simply not designed for the task

proceed at your peril- and that's all I'll say on the subject
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 09:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milton Keynes
I have a couple of JX92s in my Ford Puma. I simply removed the magnetic shield and drilled some additional holes and they fit in a treat. Considerably better than the Ford speakers.
__________________
KJW
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 03:35 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
stochastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
if for no other reason than the very high ambient noise floor, car audio speakers tend to get abused far more than we think, and as wonderful as they might be, the Alpairs are quite simply not designed for the task

proceed at your peril- and that's all I'll say on the subject

Hey, that's not your final statement here I hope. I like your line of reasoning acoustically. Regular car noise floor is ~83db or so? How high does the rms need to climb before I'll be happily listening to music and not noise? The clarity advantage aside, they will obviously get stressed more than I would prefer Alpair drivers to get stressed, but what will the failure decline be? I only plan on owning the car for so long. Will they degrade slowly in clarity or just finally kick into distortion on frequency x?

If I seriously increase the STL of the car with mass loaded vinyl and some UV tint on the windows, would that help for these drivers? The roof is done now with a significantly higher STL. Just brainstorming.
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 04:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Bob Brines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Hot Spring Village AR
My primary concern is that this 3 L box in each corner of your windscreen is going to be a serious limitation your visibility. This looks like a safety hazard to me.

Bob
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 05:25 PM   #15
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: victoria BC
had to tease another response eh?

I have no doubt that the Jordans, or any of the Alpairs would be substantial sonic improvements over most stock auto drivers, but even with careful XO to reduce low frequency duty cycle and appropriate enclosure volume/installation location (e.g. not door mounted ) , my concern would be the long term durability of the lightweight metal cones.

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid - like I said earlier, it would be most interesting for the manufacturer of the drivers to comment on the advisability of the project, as well as the warranty implications.
__________________
now on sabbatical
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 11:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member
 
stochastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
My primary concern is that this 3 L box in each corner of your windscreen is going to be a serious limitation your visibility. This looks like a safety hazard to me.

Bob

Visibility is going to be very minimally compromised. Only the corners of the front view will be obscured (i.e. if I want to see directly toward my front tires I may see slightly less and I may see less of my wiper blades at rest, but daily driving will be unimpeded). I'm more worried about the events of a collision and how I plan to secure the enclosures in place.



As far as the durability of the metal cones, the aluminum that they're spun from would probably have a better time with humidity and temperature fluctuations than a basic paper cone. I do understand that excessive xmax stress will crinkle the cone slightly, but how much sonic implications will this type of abuse incur on the driver?
I'm not worried about warranty for the Alpairs due to the great deal on Bob's old stock that I got - I don't think I have any warranty from that transaction (maybe I do, but I don't care).

Oh, and chrisb, spoken like a true worried Canadian eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
had to tease another response eh?
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 11:25 PM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by stochastic View Post
Visibility is going to be very minimally compromised. Only the corners of the front view will be obscured (i.e. if I want to see directly toward my front tires I may see slightly less and I may see less of my wiper blades at rest, but daily driving will be unimpeded). I'm more worried about the events of a collision and how I plan to secure the enclosures in place.



As far as the durability of the metal cones, the aluminum that they're spun from would probably have a better time with humidity and temperature fluctuations than a basic paper cone. I do understand that excessive xmax stress will crinkle the cone slightly, but how much sonic implications will this type of abuse incur on the driver?
I'm not worried about warranty for the Alpairs due to the great deal on Bob's old stock that I got - I don't think I have any warranty from that transaction (maybe I do, but I don't care).

Oh, and chrisb, spoken like a true worried Canadian eh?
if you've got a sub in your car, then cross the MA's over well above the point where the cone is actually going to be moving. outside of that you'll deafen yourself before you max the driver out. i've ony got a single car sub dealing with 20-100hz, the MA's have a high pass on to protect them from ever getting enough excursion to hurt them. the boxes they were in were originally made to go in the house, i've just screwed them onto the back shelf.

although i don't go to SPL meets or similar stuff like that. i run them at moderate listening volumes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 09:25 AM   #18
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
had to tease another response eh?

I have no doubt that the Jordans, or any of the Alpairs would be substantial sonic improvements over most stock auto drivers, but even with careful XO to reduce low frequency duty cycle and appropriate enclosure volume/installation location (e.g. not door mounted ) , my concern would be the long term durability of the lightweight metal cones.
Never had an issue with the Jordans. The cones are quite thin but also quite strong and can't be easily damaged by over-driving. Also they are much more resilient to aging than paper. The Ford speakers I replaced were warped, faded and degraded. The Jordans have held up with no damage, even under high volumes. It's not an issue. I don't know about the Mark Audio drivers, I haven't tried them long term. They are quite different to the Jordans as the metal cone is alot thinner. I would imagine they give better off-axis HF response though.
__________________
KJW
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 09:31 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator
 
planet10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Victoria, BC, NA, Sol III
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Warne View Post
Mark Audio drivers... They are quite different to the Jordans as the metal cone is alot thinner
The multiform cones are thin. The 1st gen like the A10 in question here are closer to the Jordan than they are to the multi-form cones.

dave
__________________
community sites t-linespeakers.org, frugal-horn.com, frugal-phile.com ........ commercial site planet10-HiFi
p10-hifi forum here at diyA
  Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 10:41 AM   #20
diyAudio Member
 
Scottmoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Right, although I believe the 1st gen MA drivers used a somewhat softer grade of alloy than the current models. Swings & roundabouts. Again.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mark Audio Alpair 10 MLTL Design Jim Griffin Full Range 210 5th April 2012 02:11 AM
Cabinet design alpair 10 Ewald Full Range 7 11th February 2011 10:19 AM
Driver/enclosure to complement Alpair 10.2 FR Pensil in a FAST system? southernoise Markaudio 24 7th February 2011 02:04 PM
Alpair-10 - MarkO design from Germany markaudio Full Range 3 23rd February 2010 01:37 PM
Alpair 10 wide bass driver and Alpair 10 Fullrange _henry_ Full Range 71 15th March 2009 12:37 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:13 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2