Tractrix Horn for 5" fullrange - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2012, 10:28 PM   #1
Banned

Default Tractrix Horn for 5" fullrange

it's been awhile I'm barried in very nice-sounding Philips Ad-5061 5" fullranges... now I'm gonna build some Tractrix Horn for the unit. the plan is to build some 12" Onken bass bins with a Horn HF on the top
the Philips 5inchers are ~95db@1w/1m efficient, the question is: How much a proper horn will increase the overall sensitivity?

I use Tractrix Horn Auto Calculator xls attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip Tractrix_v1.4b.zip (372.4 KB, 265 views)
Old 3rd June 2012, 07:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Not an answer to your question, rather an aside: a few montgs ago I heard expensive AvantGarde horn speakers and learned that they use a 5" Widerange driver in their mid frequencies horn. These speakers were so good that I think you may be onto something...
Old 3rd June 2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
Not an answer to your question, rather an aside: a few montgs ago I heard expensive AvantGarde horn speakers and learned that they use a 5" Widerange driver in their mid frequencies horn. These speakers were so good that I think you may be onto something...
you know what, all luxury big horn speakers can be build DIYed... Avantgarde, Oris, blah blah blah...
it is all about audio physic and money
the worst part is to build big round horns... I almost broke my neck to build a round horn but all attempts were experience of frustration

as you might know:
Horns are natural amplifiers
You could get same SPL of a big direct speaker by using a smaller diagram behind a horn with the same amplitude, with same wattage!
Horns increase directivity and this result in increasing total SPL with the same wattage

all these means:
Horns have a amplification factor (relevant to directivity and size, ect...) so every sound transducer will be more efficient by using in a horn instruction
all multi-hundred dollars compression drivers won't even generate 90db@1w/1m without Horn
you put a nice-sounding full-range speaker behind a well-designed horn and you get very high sensitivity
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the worst part is to build big round horns... I almost broke my neck to build a round horn but all attempts were experience of frustration
I must say that I have no idea how to elegantly build a nice round horn from scratch.
I also think that the available horns from Oris are rather expensive indeed, since (unless I am wrong) they consist of cast polyester.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaerts View Post
I must say that I have no idea how to elegantly build a nice round horn from scratch.
I also think that the available horns from Oris are rather expensive indeed, since (unless I am wrong) they consist of cast polyester.
round horns can be built using CNC cut MDF slices but endless of hours should be spent on sanding and sanding and some more sanding again...
the other method could be using paper! a nice pattern should be at hand which will shape the paper... I'm working on it
another way for me which was successful was to use PA horns! here there are nice aluminum public address horns, we had successful results to reshape them with some kind of hydrolic press machine so we could use them as Hi-fi grade horns but some parts ripped apart in reshape process so we should fill the gaps with filler and sand the final horn and paint them

Last edited by ARIYAHOOR; 3rd June 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!