What is EnABL? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Banned

Default What is EnABL?

What is EnABL?
What is the advantage of it?
Is it possible for any Fullrange speaker?
Old 30th May 2012, 09:55 PM   #2
49 - for the 18th time - again!
diyAudio Member

Hi ARIYAHOOR - here is a place to start....
Also - you can search on the key word EnABL

EnABL - Technical discussion

BTW - this is a long and deep discussion - be prepared for quite a bit of reading.
Old 30th May 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

A much discussed treatment of the cone of the driver to improve its DDR (downward dynamic range). No one really knows how it works, and it has many detractors who say it can't possibly work. In my case i'd rather not live without it.

dave
Old 30th May 2012, 10:09 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

potentially the best and worst thing you could do to some drivers.

pro's - can really bring a driver to life, crystal detail.
con's - can ruin the driver very easily, sometimes the driver once awoken has some bad habits you'd rather have not woken up.
Old 30th May 2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default a damn fine way to modify some drivers...

...or buy some (for Dave's benefit)

I believe I have an idea how it works, but the end result is that it doesn't matter how it does what it does, just that it does it. Look
here for an example of what it does.

Every driver that I have heard modified (and I have heard 4 or 5 pairs or more), have a significant improvement over the unmodified pair.

If looking for drivers already modified, contact planet10 on his commercial site. As a moderator here at diyaudio, Dave never "panders" but I am very comfortable recommending his services and products. The Fostex and Mark Audio drivers I have heard (and have) are truly better than they should be for the money. An added bonus is that these drivers are individually measured and matched before and after modifications resulting in the closest match possible based on the lot of drivers that Dave receives. That makes them an incredible value when compared to the non-modified drivers that he starts with.
Old 31st May 2012, 12:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

As I understand it, the primary function of Enabl is to lessen distortion. Particularly, distortion created when the soundwave hits the surround and bounces back. So, if by design (like leather surrounds) the driver does not have a lot of audible edge distortion the effect of Enabl will be minimal. Also, if the driver is a turd it will be more of one after Enabl. I believe that drivers that will benefit the most are drivers that already sound pretty good but slightly veiled or hashy/congested sounding. Enabl will not smooth out an 8db peak in the frequency response.

I was an early adopter when I first heard of it from Bud Purvine. So, I thought. My first attempts were way off the mark. I tried many drivers with varying degrees of success. Finally, I sent off a pair of drivers to Bud and when I got it back I was shocked by what I saw and then heard. Tremendous precision in the application of rows of blocks and the application of the gloss coating; I could literally see the varying layers of gloss. Both sides of the cone were treated. (Early on, I did recall Bud warning me about overlaps, but I was way off compared to his application.) I think Bud pooh poohs the gloss now because anybody else but him will screw it up. I also, believe that Bud is a nice/positive guy so he won't criticize anybody's attempts at the application of Enabl. And despite Bud's words of encouragement, I would never have known how off I was until I had seen Bud's work myself.

I would never pay anyone but Bud to properly apply the Enabl treatment. Period. Not only does Enabl require skill in the technical application, but talent in "tuning" the cone. Furthermore, I would not call it Enabl but something "like Enabl" if done by somebody else, Bud's endorsement notwithstanding. Especially if used to promote and mass sell drivers. Caveat emptor.

Lastly, if a driver sounds terrible throw it away. Enabl won't save it. Keep listening to speakers until you find something you like. Then stay away from forums like this.
Old 31st May 2012, 07:18 AM   #7
T101 is offline T101  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
A much discussed treatment of the cone of the driver to improve its DDR (downward dynamic range). No one really knows how it works, and it has many detractors who say it can't possibly work. In my case i'd rather not live without it.

dave
I have read the Enabl threads, but not sure I got it well. Though a theory got stuck in my mind. If appropriate, I will use this thread to put it under critical discussion.

Well, it is maybe operating in the region of frequencies where the piston action is completely ceased and maybe relies on the principle of action of the whip.
Maybe a part of the signal particularly overtones, thavel through the membrane as waves in the very material of it. The added mass of the enable dots acts as a whip tip, thus terminating the wave travel and forcing the wave to be emitted into the surrounding medium - the air. Otherwise, the waves would reach the border between two propagation mediums - the membrane and the surround, where it would naturally shift direction (as does any wave at the border of two mediums) and eventually die out dissipated as heat and generating certain amount of noise, heat and other phenomenon of probably insignificant magnitude.

There is a kind of saying in the common knowledge, that the surround is responsible for significant amount of the total driver distortion. Maybe part of it is due to waves traveling through the membrane that in the case when driver is enabled are intercepted and released as useful acoustic power.

It should work in some similar way?

Opinions?
Old 31st May 2012, 04:54 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

T101, et all

I'll keep my own contribution to this discussion brief:

the technical "W5" questions have been rigorously / rancorously debated for the past 5yrs or so, and I think it's safe to say there's yet a consensus on a scientific explanation of the physical mechanism(s) at play - but considering that many folks (myself included) have heard improvements on drivers ranging from 3" FR drivers to 12" & larger, as well as enclosure baffles, I suspect that localized mass loading is not the sole factor.

Note that Mark Fenlon's recent work with the MAOP treatment results in a change in the physical surface texture of the metal cone surface to a crystalline structure, and is not a "surface coating" in the tradition sense - described in more detail here:

Alpair 10 Gen. MAOP Prototype TW-1

of course the type of surfaces on which this process will work is limited

Ultrakaz - consult Bud on the quality of Dave's work - he (Dave) has now treated many hundreds of various drivers, and while Bud continues to customize the process for individual drivers, I'd be surprised if few folks could detect the difference in application between the two.
Old 1st June 2012, 03:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
I tested 2 Enabled driver samples (CHR Gen. 1's from memory) sent to me by Dave some 2+ years back against the standard units. Somewhere on the forum is my brief report. I admired Dave's work. Its painstaking having to apply the various dots and coatings.

There was a measurable difference in emittance, all be it small. For some listeners, the effect is audible. From my recollection, the effect was best qualitatively described as a slight softening, or warming depending on the music being played. The effect is subtle and reductive.

Coatings of any-kind on cones will usually do the following:

1 - Add mass to the power-train.
2 - Modify the flex ratio of low mass cones.
3 - Increase the losses in the transmissive surface across the cone substrate.

The quality of the argument against Enabling by a few of its detractors has at times been deplorable. For those more measured members who are inclined not to believe Enabling offers improvement, that's fine. There is an understandable concern about how increases in mass and transmission losses positively affect audible outcomes. The pro Enabling users may point out that this reductive process helps to damp drivers that they consider too lively.

Enabling and any other treatments have to rely on qualitative feedback from end-users. I did detect a measurable difference between Enabled and standard drivers. I can't say said change of state is an improvement or a decline in overall driver performance, as like so many things in audio its a matter of personal taste.

Cheers
Mark.
Old 1st June 2012, 04:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Mark, very interesting hearing from you on this subject! I'll try and track down your original post on the subject.

A couple of questions since I'm quite curious of the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post

There was a measurable difference in emittance, all be it small.
What is emittance and how do you measure it? The A/B listening I've done (EL70s and CHR70s) have made me think that CSD is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markaudio View Post
3 - Increase the losses in the transmissive surface across the cone substrate.
What does this mean? Do you mean surface instead of substrate? I take it substrate to mean the layers of material under the surface of the cone.

And...

Do you think (from a driver makers point of view) enable is more "effective" or "noticeable" with full range drivers than it would be with limited bandwidth drivers used in multi-way speakers?

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!