Running an A7.3 at full power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
105dB is possible, maybe even from those drivers.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Shows that, at 350Hz, the power is split 50-50 between low pass and high pass, and at 5.6kHz, 90% of the power goes to the low pass.

If you high pass a 30w driver at 350Hz, and add a woofer, the power handling limit imposed by the 30w driver would then be 60w, as the 30w driver sees only half the power.

Perhaps instead (going for an active crossover now), you use an amplifier rated to the full-band power handling of the driver, but the system will go louder before clipping because the whole thing has effectively twice the power available.

For maximum power handling while keeping the crossover below the critical midrange, 500-700Hz looks suitable.

I think perhaps the drivers would survive, but cone break-up may become an issue - this seems to be more of a problem with paper cones, so perhaps you'll be okay.

Chris

That's really the best way to determine what you really want. Even then, the level may end up being different than what you use during normal listening in your room.

I find my personal listening level is much lower that some of my friends' preferred levels. I think also the quality of the system has an impact of the listening level. Again, I find that the better systems can provide a wonderful experience at lower levels than lesser systems. But these are just my opinions and preferences for the music I enjoy. Your preferences and music may be different.

me 3

Wouldn't you want to get some loading on that cone if you're going to play it that loud?

Funny you should ask, two other Diy friends near by are getting 12P drivers, Phil and Tony. Phil likes boxes and OB's Tony and I pretty much prefer OB's, so I will hear a box. I don't need a box for bass since I use subs, I do need to increase baffle width though, these in ( post# 43) photo are too narrow for and have a bit of mid suck out, adding wings momentarily!

Last edited:
Got my SPL meter in last week, and at 1 meter I get 101db spl peaks without the music sounding anything but great, running the AS 2.100's full power. This is when crossing over LR8 @300hz however, the cone is hardly moving even at these ridiculous levels. The test album was Yello's "The Eye", so the average spl level was pretty high. I'm very impressed with the composure of the Alpair 7.3

Late flash:

I had the opportunity to run my A7.3/Goldwood GW-1858 rig in a large venue. It was an old chapel something like 50'x100' with a high vaulted ceiling. I got 80dB at ~25' back from the speakers. I have no real idea how much power I was running -- the amp is probably good to 30w into 8 ohm. Except for that fact that the echoes and reverbs were unreal, the A7's sounded just fine.

Bob

Was that with your A7's open baffle or the transmission lines?

The TL's. I was never happy with the sound of the OB's -- The reflections off of the back of the OB's screws up the imaging and gives an strange coming from everywhere sound that I don't like. I guess OB is like full-range. You either like or not with no in between.

Going to the TL's allows me to drop the XO from 300Hz to 150Hz LR4. The setup sound much better in the low mids this way.

Bob

With your TL 7.3 high pass at 150Hz LR4, what are you using for the low pass on the Goldwood H frames? Do you think this combination has you close to your goal for full power output?

Sorry to pester you with so many questions Bob, but did you find it necessary to reverse polarity on TL's vs H Frames?

The Goldwood's are also crossed at 150Hz LR4 same polarity. You can do wonders with a parametric EQ.

Bob

I haven't spent much time on this project. I been caught up with commissions lately. The A7.3's are back upstairs in the HT -- Those small TL's have super WAF. I have FE167E's on top of the Goldwood GR1858's at the moment. This is also a good combo. It makes me wonder if doing a FAST would be equal or better.

Bob

I haven't spent much time on this project. I been caught up with commissions lately.

congrats , or should that be "careful what you wish for" ? ;)

The A7.3's are back upstairs in the HT -- Those small TL's have super WAF.
never a minor factor in my own calculus :)

I have FE167E's on top of the Goldwood GR1858's at the moment. This is also a good combo. It makes me wonder if doing a FAST would be equal or better.

Bob
I guess one man's "FAST" is another's banquet :rolleyes: - sorry, yet another couple of 4hr sleep nights - it takes until at least the 2nd coffee to settle down.

Yes, this certainly seems to be an easily excusable way to slip into a multi-way - and still a lot of fun if you can hide the woofers and show off

"all that sound from those little boxes?"

"yup, well... not exactly - but the important part, mostly" :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.