Running an A7.3 at full power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bob, did the alpair play full range? And playing louder than that caused, what? Audible distortion?

The A7's are crossed to H-frames @300Hz (the minimum usable frequency of the small OB's. (I have A7's in my HT that are in small TL's and crossed to a real sub @160Hz. Same results.)

80dB is about as loud as I can stand. Anything over that is uncomfortable. so, I really don't know how much harder I can push things as still get decent sound. Remember that OSHA requires earplugs above 85dB. I think that the A7's at this level are adequate for classical, jazz, girl-and-a-guitar. To my ears, they work for 70's-80's rock. They surely will blow up with the 90-100dB that heavy rockers seem to require, but I have never advertised my speakers a suitable for metal.

Bob

OK. A7.3 and two RS225-4's it is.

Obviously, one 8" would be enough, but I want two for the transient response. It is my theory that the larger the Sd and therefore smaller excursion, the sharper the leading edge of the sound wave. IMO this is what produces "slam". I cannot understand a 4-6" "subwoofer" with huge Xmax. The leading edge of the sound wave has to be mushy. Again, this based on my experiments with am 18" H-frame. At 100dB and 30Hz, I had to put my finger on the cone to detect come motion.

Bob

It's fairly simple physics: if the cone moves 10mm p/p at 50Hz, then its maximum instantaneous velocity is given by Aw (where w is omega, 2pi/t, or 2pi*f).
3.15 metres per second. Not particularly fast in the grand scheme of things: I'd expect the drivetrain to maintain decent control there, but I'm no expert on these - perhaps Mark can help here?

I'm shocked by your observations, too: for a single 18" driver to do 100dB@30Hz in a closed box, over 3mm of one-way travel is needed. When you bring in a lossy dipole system, I'd expect a lot of cone excursion to do 30Hz at that SPL. Could you give details of how you measured this output?

Cheers,
Chris

I agree that this seems to be the critical question. Bob's scenario pretty much matches my typical listening w/ classical or jazz and I wouldn't consider it very demanding or unusual.

If the 7.3s can't handle this type of music/listening, what exactly is their expected "mission"?

I am curious how Bob is testing because in the FAST setup I'm using the Alpair 7.3's in, I can easily play them uncomfortably loud without any audible distortion. This is when actively crossing them @250 hz lr4. So if Bob is testing them with a high pass already, 80db max on transiens to me sounds way too low. Hence my question if Bob is testing them full range or not. I do not have an SPL meter (one is on its way though), but I certainly am hitting 90db+ levels @2.5m...

EDIT: Thanks Bob for the clarificaton, you posted while I was typing. Indeed 80db is as loud as I would ever play as well (save for short transients), but I that's not the limitation of the Alpair at this crossover point. Not in my box anyway. @ 20VA it outputs mid 90db levels, at less than 1mm travel according to WinISD.

EDIT2: Have you listened to the Dave Brubeck Quartet at Carnegie Hall? Sounds brilliant on the Alpairs, even on realisticly loud levels :). This type of music really suits them, although I have not found a type of music that puts them off.

Last edited:
The A7's are crossed to H-frames @300Hz (the minimum usable frequency of the small OB's. (I have A7's in my HT that are in small TL's and crossed to a real sub @160Hz. Same results.)

80dB is about as loud as I can stand. Anything over that is uncomfortable. so, I really don't know how much harder I can push things as still get decent sound. Remember that OSHA requires earplugs above 85dB. I think that the A7's at this level are adequate for classical, jazz, girl-and-a-guitar. To my ears, they work for 70's-80's rock. They surely will blow up with the 90-100dB that heavy rockers seem to require, but I have never advertised my speakers a suitable for metal.

Bob

Bob,

Yes it would seem were on same page trying too get A7 too do 90 db classical music swings 8-10 ft out, also you guys seem too be crossing over much higher than where I'm at (100Hz as opposed to 250-300Hz) which I find interesting. Can you share reason?

Got my digital Radioshack SPL-meter today. Set it to C-weighting and played some music "really loud", louder than I usually play. I hit 93dB maximum at listening position (about 2.5m away I think). Normal listening levels are 70-80dB apparently. Am I pushing them too far or can I push them further? I feel that I'd like a little more dynamic capacity, maybe handle peaks up to 105dB or something.

Got my digital Radioshack SPL-meter today. Set it to C-weighting and played some music "really loud", louder than I usually play. I hit 93dB maximum at listening position (about 2.5m away I think). Normal listening levels are 70-80dB apparently. Am I pushing them too far or can I push them further? I feel that I'd like a little more dynamic capacity, maybe handle peaks up to 105dB or something.

105db will not be possible without melting it I'm afraid. I'd say 95/96db would be about the limit at those distances, crossed over at 300hz or so.

Very cool, not sure how accurate Radio Shack meter is, likely in ballpark. If you should have a smart phone of sorts I highly recommend down loading Smart Tools app. My phone has a 1.2 GHZ dual core processor and I believe margin for error is pretty good in spite of it's mediocre Mic. Unfortunately I have searched a great deal and have not been able too find Mic specs. Regardless, it's exciting too get A picture of what's happening!

My tests have shown speaker break up @ 82-83 db at 7-10ft away in equilateral triangle, crossingover @ 100hz with 12 db slope.

Last edited:
....I'm shocked by your observations, too: for a single 18" driver to do 100dB@30Hz in a closed box, over 3mm of one-way travel is needed. When you bring in a lossy dipole system, I'd expect a lot of cone excursion to do 30Hz at that SPL. Could you give details of how you measured this output?

Cheers,
Chris

I shouldn't have said 30Hz. I meant to say C-weighted. The catch is that most of the energy is an octave or more above the bottom note, which in this case was an organ playing C1 (~32Hz). Reed organ pipes, like plucked double basses and pianos have very little energy in the fundamental. The majority of the energy is in the harmonic structure. At 60-100Hz, the 18" driver doesn't have to move that far to get loud.

Bob

Bob,

Yes it would seem were on same page trying too get A7 too do 90 db classical music swings 8-10 ft out, also you guys seem too be crossing over much higher than where I'm at (100Hz as opposed to 250-300Hz) which I find interesting. Can you share reason?

My OB's are small enough that 300Hz is all they can do, ergo 300Hz XO. My HT is crossed at 160Hz because that happily fills in the floor bounce. The higher you go, the less FM distortion you get, but anywhere above 100Hz should mean that the A7's are power limited rather than excursion limited.

Bob

105db will not be possible without melting it I'm afraid. I'd say 95/96db would be about the limit at those distances, crossed over at 300hz or so.

I know the EL70 that I have wont do any 105dB. But I'm planning a new project :) Right now my Mar-Kel70eN are crossed over at about 90Hz.

Very cool, not sure how accurate Radio Shack meter is, likely in ballpark. If you should have a smart phone of sorts I highly recommend down loading Smart Tools app. My phone has a 1.2 GHZ dual core processor and I believe margin for error is pretty good in spite of it's mediocre Mic. Unfortunately I have searched a great deal and have not been able too find Mic specs. Regardless, it's exciting too get A picture of what's happening!

My tests have shown speaker break up @ 82-83 db at 7-10ft away in equilateral triangle, crossingover @ 100hz with 12 db slope.

I found a compensation table here -> How accurate is the Radio Shack SPL meter - Agoraquest - Sony Forum, News, Reviews
I do have a HTC Desire, but I don't trust its mic. But maybe I shall try and compare it to the compensated values of the digital radioshack meter.

105dB? For home listening?

(/TFPIC mode on)

:eek: :RIP:

If you're looking for 105dB, my suggestion is to contact Bob Heil to get his suggestions on the right kind of sound reinforcement components you will need. He specializes in large sound systems for rock bands and medium to large stadiums. He might know a few tricks to help you get above 100dB.

It is possible to get that level with a pair of Alpair 7s mounted in some headphones. Make sure you have an adequate supply of blood to replace what you'll likely lose from your ears.

(In that old Memorex commercial, wasn't that crystal wine glass shattered at something like 90dB?)

(/TFPIC mode off)

Will it really take THAT big speakers to reach 105dB peak level? Honestly?

Every 3dB increase in SPL requires a doubling of the power input. Lets suppose that an A7 can sustain 95dB. Let's also suppose that the A7 is taking 10w to get there. To get 105dB will require TEN TIMESas much power. Imagine what will happen to that poor little driver trying to absorb 100w.

Bob

Every 3dB increase in SPL requires a doubling of the power input. Lets suppose that an A7 can sustain 95dB. Let's also suppose that the A7 is taking 10w to get there. To get 105dB will require TEN TIMESas much power. Imagine what will happen to that poor little driver trying to absorb 100w.

Bob

I wasn't saying I would use the A7.3. I'm thinking of something a little bigger maybe and something not full-range. But I'll take that discussion in my thread over here here to not go too off-topic in this thread.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

When Bernie & i were excercising the limits of the EL70/WoofT (XO 2nd order at 100 Hz), the iPhone/AudioTools meter was giving 90 dB (LOUD) no problem, another 6 dB and the drivers were moving a lot. Normal levels were 70-80 @ ~4m, my room is large.

dave

That's really the best way to determine what you really want. Even then, the level may end up being different than what you use during normal listening in your room.

I find my personal listening level is much lower that some of my friends' preferred levels. I think also the quality of the system has an impact of the listening level. Again, I find that the better systems can provide a wonderful experience at lower levels than lesser systems. But these are just my opinions and preferences for the music I enjoy. Your preferences and music may be different.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.