Running an A7.3 at full power

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Octavia,

XO was set at 110 Hz and 115 Hz if I recall correctly - both worked fine. Slopes I forgot as the ASIO plug-in setup in Foobar was done by forum member BanglaCX - the Alp 7.3 in Mar-Ken's were his. We also tried my Alp 12 metal, but sub integration was not as tight/clean. That's the problem with the Alp 7.3 - after you've listened to that driver, your other stuff starts sounding a bit problematic. BTW, the source was pretty non hi-fi for this experiment - a Creative 5.1 USB soundcard.

I do want to do the tapped horn's though... someday sometime when I get more time and some polyurethane glue. :)

BUT, what about tapped horns and usable BW? If I understand correctly, a TH will give you more efficiency, but not much BW? Is the SQ much better vs sealed or ported?

We are going slightly OT here, but would welcome some comments by the experts.

It seems the point is that once the low end is taken off the Alp 7.3 they are really capable of significantly more output even if not quite up to symphonic crescendo levels (judging from what others have said). The band width for the Insubnia tapped horns is 25Hz - 125Hz and at least to my eye seems to offer a nice slender profile under a 7.3 monitor. Maybe that's just cobbling two unrelated set ups together but then again maybe together they'll make magic. All I can say for sure is when my budget permits I intend to find out. :)

BUT, what about tapped horns and usable BW? If I understand correctly, a TH will give you more efficiency, but not much BW? Is the SQ much better vs sealed or ported?

When you increase gain, you decrease band width. Tapped horns are usually designed to get usable SPL using a small driver as a sub. Works fine in that context. The discussion, however, is about FAST where the XO is going to be 200-300Hz. This is well out of the range for a TH, particularly when you consider that you need an octave or two overlap with the top.

Bob

I didn't realize that FAST defined the XO as being 200-300Hz. I was considering simply relieving the 7.3 of having to cover the lower end below 120Hz. However you may be completely correct, perhaps the tapped horn approach won't be the best solution. I believe somewhere Nelson Pass made the comment that 160Hz seem to be the XO point he liked best. So....as they say, Back to the Drawing Board.

I didn't realize that FAST defined the XO as being 200-300Hz.

Octavia,

FAST does not necessarily mean XO between 200-300 Hz. It can be lower if your FR unit can cope with your particular application (type of music/content, SPL). Subs will not go up to 300 Hz - so crossing with a mid-bass or "woofer" will only work here. And if I understand correctly, tapped horns subs with smaller drivers will not go up to 160 Hz - 110 Hz might be possible though.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.