Any Fostex FE167En smallish Cabinet recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mornin' All,

Bit of a tricky one this. I've bought a couple of FE167En's for use in my day-job workshop (I'm an Electronics Tech by trade) to replace the now deceased JBL Control 1's that have provided sterling service for many years but due to the dry-ish atmosphere in the 'shop their foams have all disintegrated and now need replacing. Whatevers! One day when the wind is in the right direction etc etc etc.

What I now want to do is build a pair of smallish FR Cabinets for the FE167En's. There's a few proviso's though..... The HAVE to be mounted hanging from a small cable gantry (!) at the far end of the workshop. Floor or shelf space is at an absolute premium and also there's great chance they'd get damaged as we've got pieces of kit to be repaired coming and going in and out of the 'shop allday everyday so 'up and out out of harms way' it HAS to be.

They'll be driven by a fairly muscular EL34 PP amp which is fed from a PC running FLAC files in Foobar FWIW. We've already got a pair of DIY (built when i was still at school... I'm now 46!) 2 way BR cab's that need to come down off the gantry as they too have foam disintegration probs. They've been up there at least 6 years and have done well also (we had 2 systems... long story!).

The only cabinets I've seen that really fit the bill so far are Fostex's own 'recommended' design. Anyone know of anything else worthy of consideration?

ta's.

DTB.

how "small" exactly?

a few years ago "we" built a pair of burn-in / test drive boxes for the 167, based on the approx volume and tuning of the Fostex simple BR box (added extra bracing / slot port) - they worked well enough ( but a decent floorstander, such as say, the Fonken, will eat them for breakfast) - I can see however that they'd be suitable for your mounting scheme - maybe Davie still has the drawings somewhere

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I had a pair of the FE167E and was not overly thrilled with them.. Have to say that their limited power handling might be a problem in a large room, particularly if you are trying to get (any) bass out of them. I'll second the "no slam" comment Bob made as well. Have heard 3 different systems with these drivers including my own, not my cup of tea.

Personally I'd refoam the BR or the JBLs and put them back in service. Other options might include replacing the woofers with ones having close TS parameters to the originals.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The break-in boxes Chris mentioned were 15litre with a 2"d x 2.5" port. Up to 25-26 litre for max bass extension.

Your 2-way is 47 litre gross (assuming 3/4" material) so new (big) boxes would be smaller.

Dave, figure out what shapes are best for you, or which dimensions you'd like to use up, and i'll sketch a Fonken167dtb for you.

dave

The break-in boxes Chris mentioned were 15litre with a 2"d x 2.5" port. Up to 25-26 litre for max bass extension.

Your 2-way is 47 litre gross (assuming 3/4" material) so new (big) boxes would be smaller.

Dave, figure out what shapes are best for you, or which dimensions you'd like to use up, and i'll sketch a Fonken167dtb for you.

dave

too many boxes, so many years - I thought we used slot ports on these boxes

I would probably have to concur that even in an "optimal" box, the 167s might not deliver suitable "slam" for someone with the moniker D "The Bass"

now, FE166E in double mouth horn or even BIB - perhaps

but replacing surrounds on the JBLs might still be your best bet

I would probably have to concur that even in an "optimal" box, the 167s might not deliver suitable "slam" for someone with the moniker D "The Bass"

He used to be a bass player, hence his moniker, but he believes in only one speaker size for listening at home and that is a Fostex 4". So naming himself Dave The Bass is a bit misleading. We all know a 4" FR or Extended range driver does not produce any true bass ;) But he sure loves his Sabouru's (likely mis-spelt) with the titchy FE126eN's. Truely believes them to be the "best speaker in the world" (tongue-in-cheek) and they are very good at what thy do.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looks WAY better than the 10 litre FE126 box you alluded to.

dave

Attachments

• fe167BR-sim.png
    fe167BR-sim.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 406
Here's a pretty old pic of how we've got the old 2 way BR's mounted. Not ideal but it is the only way I can do proper speakers in the workshop. The cool thing is that they fire down the 'shop towards me and even these pretty rubbish boxes sound 'ok' when driven by summat half decent.
CIMG7818.jpg

That piccie was taken quite a while ago and the ghetto blaster is safely binned... have no fear! We're self built EL34 PP valve amp'd and computer audio'd up thesedays in the workshop :)

I've used 167's in the past, I like 'em. I bought this P10 enabled pair from that Colin fella and FWIW... I AM still a bassist BTW!!!

DaveD, if you can do a Fonken167DTB 'special' that'd be great. Thank you. One of the limiting factors is how far they can hang down though. What you can't see is that the right hand speaker sits next to a cupboard on the adjacent wall, they door of which 'just' clears the underside of the right hand speaker when it's opened! Remember when I said space was a premium... see I wasn't kidding!

I'll measure up accurate tomorrow but if you could get a 167EnFonken into roughly the same enclosure space that'd be fabbo dabbo.

As Colin has alluded, yup, the Sab's are still going strong, they are phenomenal (IMHO). I fitted that pair of P10 Natural FE126's I bought off you a while back and they're pressed into service most nights here at Chez Bass. They still 'do it' for me.

Just need to get the workshop HiFi sorted now and get my boss used to listening to 'my' kinda music for 8 hours a day.... I've been training him for the last 16 years... slowly he's developing a tasted for 'Dave-Music' :)

DTB

dave

Right, sorry for the delay. Maximum sizes I could get away with are 18" height, 20" width and 15" deep. That help? If it's too much aggro let me know and I'll just knock-up a bog standard Fostex box.

Ta for the offer of help.

DTB

The design is pleasing and looks uncomplicated to execute. Thanks for posting it.

variation on a theme by P10-gnini :joker:

Not described in detail, but taken as "given" by anyone familiar with Dave's designs, is that the vertical panel / brace "kissing" the driver magnet should be mounted off center line, and "holey". As well, we've found best damping with all panel walls lined with something like the 1/2" Ultratouch denim insulation - don't occlude the internal slot port openings - and adjust as needed with addition of your favorite flavor of cryo treated virgin cashmere wool fiber-fill - you know from the ugly goats.

OK, part of that was silly - I just finished reading a thread elsewhere on the $50 or whatever H-Fi Tuning AC line fuses

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.